Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the last 9 days up in Door County on our annual family vacation. I was able to fish every day and managed to catch atleast one bass a day. Mostly smallmouths with a few largemouths mixed in. I even caught a 18 inch northern on a nightcrawler. Most of the fish that were caught were caught with nightcrawlers. Yes Jim, I know that's cheating. LOL. I didn't take many pictures because I was usually too busy fishing with kids or my friend that isn't really a fisherman. The highlight of my trip was catching a 20 inch smallie on a Yum Crawbug. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of him. I caught him sight fishing and he took the lure as it dropped. The funny thing was that 4 or 5 other bass were trying to take the lure out of his mouth as I brought him in and 2 of them were bigger than the one that I caught. :shock:

Here are a couple of pictures of fish that my friend caught. The second one was 3 lbs 3 oz.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The funny thing is, I grew up there and didn't really start fishing for smallies until a few years back when I got back into fishing. It is really a world-class fishery up there. Smallies, northerns, walleyes, perch, salmon and they all can be quite big.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's not considered cheating using worms, minniows etc. unless you are fishing man made water. Nice job on the smallies. Years ago the locals at Door County called the smallmouth bass rough fish. All they wanted to talk about was walleyes. Too bad we can't convince the powers to be to stock smallmouth in Lake Glenview.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for clarifying that for me Jim. I know that smallies were never considered a sport fish up there when I was growing up. That's probably why I never fished for them as a kid.

We will probably never see Lake Glenview stocked with smallies. That plus I'm not certain that the lake has deep enough water to support them.

·
Registered
959 Posts
toothdoc said:
We will probably never see Lake Glenview stocked with smallies. That plus I'm not certain that the lake has deep enough water to support them.
What we need is some sort of smallmouth stocking program up on Deep Lake. I think that lake could definitely hold a nice population of them with the incredible depths at some points.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
If it wasn`t for the green carp fishing would never be where it is now !

The green fish thats easy to catch will hit anything and live almost anywhere spawned a billion dollar industry,dont think the walleye ,musky or pike could have done that !

Theres more tackle for bass than all the other fish combined :shock:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not that I agree with him, my uncle in Northern Wisconsin says that,
"Bass fishing is for people who can't catch walleye!"

I'm not defending him but, most people "up North" live on what they catch and hunt for. I know that no one I know up there eat bass, so to them, bass are a nuiscence.

Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I notice exactly the opposite up in wisconsin. All the locals i talk to eat lmbass. I thought they were kidding at first. They say that lmb taste "great". I know thats not at all the opinion down here. A regional thing i guess.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually when I was up there fishing a couple of times I caught a nice smallie and someone that was fishing there asked if they could keep it. Unfortunately, when I was holding it up it got dropped back into the lake. Oops. :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.