Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we really have to spend the extra two dollars for rapala's :?: :?: :?:

What do you guys think? What's your take on the thousands of choices we anglers have these days?

As far as senkos, I'll definately spend the extra green! But then again, I'm starting to see many senko look alikes.

Cheers,
Augy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
With a name like Rapala and the history of the company, I'd have to say yes. As for plastics like Kalin's I could go either way.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My take on this is that for lure like Rapala's spend the extra $$ for the quality. I still have some of my Dad's Rapala's that have to be 25+ years old and they are still in great shape. Which may say something about his angling skills! :shock:

I just tend to get what I need for where I am fishing. Senko's and Berkley Powerbaits I've made the mistake of buying way too much only to want to try different things and running the bill on this stuff way too high, so now I just get the fewest I can and try different colors, styles, etc. until I find what works for me.

Also, hooks. I used to get the cheapies until a month or so ago I tried the better brand names and have been very impressed with the results. I am sure I would have lost the Muskies and 20" LM Bass a week or so ago had I been using the cheapies!

I think what's on the end of your line and maybe the line is where to spend a little more. I am not so convinced of the need to go beyond $40 - 50 for a rod and reel though. But the nicer of those would be kinda sweet, too! :D

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
The bill can certainly run way up when purchasing lures.

Rapalas are great baits. It seems that most of the immitations are not always that much cheaper. But when the Rapalas are on sale... I definately try to pick up several.

Ahh... the Senko immitators. They are coming out like crazy. Actually, Walmart carries Senko immitators made by Gary Yamamoto himself! And they are a bit cheaper. Berkely makes a "gulp" sinking minnow that is like a Senko and productive.

As for rigs... all of mine are custom made. Not by big companies, but by me from rods and reels handed down by very generous families at the nursing home I work at. There were 3 of the residents I used to take fishing who are no longer able to fish either because of death or illness (no kidding). Their families gave me all of their loved ones fishing stuff and i've put together some of my best rigs. All simple, all productive.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
I believe that all Rapalas are tank tested. It is nice to know that the lure is tuned coming out of the box. I have bought other cheap cranks and had them way off or inoperable right out of the box. I think in the fishing industry you really do get what you pay for. You don't have to spend a fortune but having quality rods, reels, line, terminal tackle, and baits will save you lots of frustration. JM2C

Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
IMO, I personally like the name brand lure for the fact is they do end up running straight and not cracking and they use better hooks outta the box. I end up changin the hooks but its good to start with a decent one to begin with. The lips on alot of the cheap crank crack very easy, you don't know how many times Ive had a huge King on and ended up reeling the lip of the crank in without the fish or the rest of the bait.

I drop a good coin on my rods and reels tho, I used to use the cheaper ones when I started fishing regularly until I ended up breaking down and buyin a St.Croix Avid with a Shimano Stradic, after fishing with this gear I was just amazed and VERY impressed. So what do ya know now I have 8 Avids and one brand new Legend tourny series rod (its as light as a feather and stronger then hell), one Fenwick and one G-Loomis. We wont get into reels cause all my rods are now mated with Stradics or Symetres.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is an old post, but I will chip in my opinion....I think that if one is buying spinner baits, one doesn't need to spend 5 dollars on a spinner bait when walmart has good working ones for just a dollar. Rapalas are very good lures but being 15, I don't have a lot of money to spend on those. I usually get them when I can get my mom to go to walmart or bass pro :lol: 8) . Also, I have bought some cheap 1 dollar jerk baits, they are hard to work but one can still catch fish with them. So I would say it's a grey area on paying the extra money on the rapalas. for plastics....people make their own and catch fish on them, why spend 9 bucks at bass pro for a senko when you could make your own or buy an non name brand for a lot cheaper. So I would say that it isn't worth the extra money when it comes to senkos.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I personally haven't found a brand more reliable than Rapala (and I have done plenty of testing.) And day in, day out, the original floating Rapala and shad raps are my overall best producing hardbaits.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
I think it's worth it. My favorite cranks are Rapala, YoZuri and Jackall. Bomber makes some good ones as well that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Def Spend the extra money on Rapala for crankbaits due to the sheer abuse they take and hardly chip or break.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's funny, because the guys buying LuckyCraft Pointers and Mega Bass 110's look at Rapala like the red headed step child. It's all about perspective. There's good enough, pretty good and better. Buy what you are confortable with (and comfortable losing).

·
Registered
356 Posts
I never used anything other than live bait when younger but since making the change to artificial I have noticed that u can catch fish on less expensive stuff but in the longrun u catch more and have alot less hassles when u spend a few bucks more

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Wow now thats an old thread lol
Wheres Augy ?

I hate Rapalas,a couple of bumps and they dont run straight and the bills break easily.
I will admit though the shadrap is a great eyeball crank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts