Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd post this for those that did not hear. The debate over public use of the river has come up again recently, and it sounds like waders/kayakers have lost to the landowners. Be careful if wading/floating adjacent to private property, you may be ticketed. Here's an article discussing the law as it pertains to the Dupe (and Mazon).

·
Registered
875 Posts
My understanding is the court upheld the state's old law in regard to the situation on the Mazon. Unless a river is considered a navigable waterway by the state, the river is considered private property. It's interesting with the Mazon case, the ruling doesn't even allow one to float through the private property which is absurd to me. You can own the riverbed, but the water flowing through it? That can be applied to all waters which aren't considered navigable, including parts of the Dupage.

The canoe/float company out of Plainfield on the Dupage, increase in users, users who litter and trespass on land has brought on a lot of attention recently. I've never had a landowner say anything to me while wading any of the Dupage watershed. I'm curious, Jmdog or anyone, have you ever had a confrontation with a landowner? The most interaction I've had is a wave or I'm asked how's the fishing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started on the river in 2008 and in that time I've had one unpleasant run in. Was my fault, didn't realize that where I cut over to drop in was private. I apologized and moved on. But now I think that whole spot would be off limits. I've been trying to brainstorm on how many spots I fish would be affected. Most of the water I fish is public anyway, but there are definitely stretches on the west branch that I will probably just avoid now. Areas of river with a house on each side could definitely cause problems.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I started fishing in Michigan where the rule is basically "if you enter the water on public land and never touch dry land on private property you are good" the whole situation was a bit alien to me. On the other hand, my local Michigan was heavily used by tube floaters and the amount of trash they left was ... considerable. And then there was that one time where I came upon a couple of college kids going for it right in the middle of the river. I can see how property owners' patience would wear thin.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah even though I advocate for as much public water as possible, I do see the property owners' side here. I still get a bit disappointed when I pick up trash that was obviously left by an angler. Shame that people still disrespect the resource, and ruin things for the larger community.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts