Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start, picked up bait around 1130, line hit the water at noon and thats all that hit it. I seen 2 perch caught while there, guys said it is usually good but today was terrible. The only real keepers came before 9am. Sucks

I scored about 3-6doz. minnows from 2 guys that were like, "please, take them!"

I'm heading back tomorrow EARLY to redeem myself and not waste all of that bait!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
catch88 said:
I know! I wanted to but I had other people with me that were complaining they wanted to leave. $19 to park, I would have stayed all night!
dude. last week the action picked up for me after 4pm :) lol for $19 you shoulda stayed all night, and got out tomorrow morning at 10 and paid $5!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I went down Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of last week. Caught between 25-50 fish each time down and each time was a bit different.

First two days the action was a bit slow but constant, you know, a perch or two every 5-8 minutes, big ones every once in a while.

Thursday was different, traveling in tight schools and they were much bigger. Maybe a 1 perch every 20 minutes or so and then BAM!!! Couldn't keep the pole in the water.

On friday I had a friend in from out of town and really wanted to get him some Perch. So we stay for almost 4 hours, it was really slow from about 8 a.m.-10:30 A.M. then it was insane for like 30 minutes, I got 3 double headers in that time, once it was a 10" and a 9", we ended up with a limit, most of the fish caught in that 30 minute time. It then just shut off.

My theory is that there are a few big schools down there cruising slowly. Things just seem to turn on and shut off just like that.

We fished with Minnows, Shrimp, and Cut-Bait, and to be honest, shrimp did alright for the first two days but after that. The secret was a minnow AND a little piece of cut bait on the hook. I had 2 hooks on the line and the one with the cut bait and minnow was killing on friday, then the cut bait finally came off after 15 fish or so and it was back to even distribution between the hooks.

So anyways. Thats the help I can offer you... Lastly, if I'm not catching anything, I move 50 feet down the pier and try there. And talking to the regulars down there (which I'm quickly becoming...) I hear the corners are sometimes the spots, (the furthest west you can go, along that wall)

Hope I'm a bit of help. I'm considering going down tomorrow (but I take the L down and I'm thinking it might be a hair too cold for me tomorrow morning). Good luck!

-Tom

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Better on cloudy days imo. I think today was too sunny. Perch are like smaller walleye, they feed very similar. You're in the right spot though. And cam has the right idea in that it can be a timing issue more than anything sometimes. They can turn on and off like a light switch, kinda crazy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, thats some serious info cam. thanks. I did the whole move 50ft. I started in the middle and slowly moved into the SW corner by the street. I had my brothers, so they helped cover ground. You should go tomorrow and teach me a few things. :lol: Its never too cold to fish. I thought I was decent at perching but im stumped. Cam if you ever want to hit up LM just pm and we'll hook up

Tomorrow I will do my best guys, thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can never have enough fishing buddies, theres alot of different water to cover :D I will be there early and try to get out before 10am so parking is only $5. If its hot, i'll stay later but I doubt it will be after 9 or 10 anyways. You have a PM

·
Registered
386 Posts
Got out with Catch88 this morning and got some perching done. The bite was there but you had to work for it. We moved around and thanks to a good guess by Catch88 at the end we found a good spot and landed some bigger ones.

I'm a photographer by education so I figured I'd take some nice window light and get a photograph for you guys. For the love of fish.

Here she is : 10 1/4"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good day, tom aka cam summed it up. Fishing picked up for 10-15 minutes after tom headed out. Caught a few nice(r) perch n then it died. I left around noon or one keeping 9 fish all 8-10.5". Will get some pics up shortly

·
Registered
386 Posts
Best results today probably came from shrimp, thrown out far, tight lined. Slow drag seemed to get a few as well. I couldn't find many close to the pier, had to throw it out a ways. The spot we were at that had weeds also seemed like the best. We went to the south side west wall and got skunked there, no good... So yea, North wall. Tight line... minnows took plenty of fish, as did shrimp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.