Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think navy pier perch babies would be a better title.

Got there around 11:00, left at 3:00. Caught a total of 73 perch. The vast majority were in the 4-6 inch range, maybe 10% were above 7 inches. I ended up with a few keepers, especially because I got five 10 inchers donated me from the nice guy next to me. Thanks Denny!

Also met a nice guy named Brian, glad you caught some perch today my friend, it was nice to shoot the breeze with you and hopefully next time you'll bring a rig like I showed you. I'm glad you made what you had work for you!

I think brian put it best, that the level of comfort and size of fish have an inverse relationship. Today we were laying in the sun, watching the diving ducks and small skim ice float around, and catching little baby perch... If it had been a north-east gale with freezing spray we probably would have been catching 14 inchers...

Shrimp worked the best today, minnows weren't getting many fish.

I'm just fine with little ones today. It was a great day.

I need a job...

· Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the report. Got out of work early and wanted to come down around 1430... might have been fun... but if you guys weren't getting "winter jumbo's" maybe it saved me some bus fare. Are you really looking for a job or just sorta?

· Registered
5,840 Posts
Nice report! 73 is a lot of catching.

Get them while you can. Normally the Navy Pier perch will soon vanish for the season. Late May, the jumbo invasion will begin around the harbors and shorelines.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay K said:
Thanks for the report. Got out of work early and wanted to come down around 1430... might have been fun... but if you guys weren't getting "winter jumbo's" maybe it saved me some bus fare. Are you really looking for a job or just sorta?
I'm totally looking for a job, I just take fishing excursions while its nice out. Why you know something? I just graduated from college in december and moved here and have been looking everywhere. Stupid recession, what a terrible time to graduate.

· Registered
3,785 Posts
Hey in the numbers game that sounds like an awesome time out. Great day to be wetting the line! It's tough not knowing when the next job falls into place but in the meantime, enjoy EVERY day that you aren't working. Soon enough you'll be doing the full time gig wishin' you were fishin'.

· Registered
66 Posts
RonG- This whole Navy Pier perch thing is new to me (late) this season, and I've made it out maybe 6 or so times. So, after this winter "season" ends, that means there's no fish to be caught at Navy Pier?

Your kayak video was awesome BTW - so if I had a boat or kayak, I'd still be able to catch perch (and not have to wait until May)?

· Registered
5,840 Posts
Jay K said:
RonG- This whole Navy Pier perch thing is new to me (late) this season, and I've made it out maybe 6 or so times. So, after this winter "season" ends, that means there's no fish to be caught at Navy Pier?

Your kayak video was awesome BTW - so if I had a boat or kayak, I'd still be able to catch perch (and not have to wait until May)?
Yes, the winter perch that show up every year around Thanksgiving, give or take a week or two, start to disappear around this time and get hard to find.

April is a great month a couple of miles out in Waukegan and a few other spawning areas.

Late May, the perch re-appear near shore with the big jumbos in number. I skip Navy Pier for these as the harbors and other shore areas are better and so is the parking. They normally stick around into July or August, but need consistent W or SW winds to cool the shore water to be present. Often by the season re-opening Aug 1st, they are gone again and you need a boat. I've done good in August in Wilmette by kayak, but they didn't show up well last year.

Then they hide until the next Turkey Day when they show up again at Navy Pier and usually a little later at the harbors. Boaters at 95th usually start getting them earlier in November.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.