Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hit the lake today for some perching. Its been about...well, since June. So nearly 5 months without perching. I checked the freezer last night and realized I was down to my last bag of perch fillets :shock:

So I got my butt up early this morning and paid the 5 bones to park at Navy Pier. There were a decent amount of perchers out there as well. Nice morning, little wind, and not too cold. That only problem was the floating skim ice that made some casting difficult.

I fished from 530 - 945 am. Ended up working a crappie rig setup with fatheads (heh, real special and secretive!) since these winter perch are munching mostly on this sort of bait (which i can never explain - catching perch on artificials can be done very successfully in spring, but in winter... forget about it). I probably caught somewhere around 20-25 fish, with a couple of double headers (fish on each of my leaders). 8 were kept for a future dinner. My keeper sized perch were between 8.5 - 10". Boy, nothing beats those spring time jumbos, but 10" winter perch taste just the same.

It was good to take a break from some of the "bigger game" fishing to catch some perch on UL tackle. See ya next time -

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fishinnut28 said:
would perch be biting this time at burnham harbor??
I'm not too sure of the current harbor reports, but I can tell you this from my past experiences in previous years - when it comes to winter time perching, the best place is navy pier. i've done so-so in the harbors at best. I'm sure there are catchable perch in burnham right now, but not as many in numbers as NP

918 Posts
mplant1 said:
fishinnut28 said:
I'm not too sure of the current harbor reports, but I can tell you this from my past experiences in previous years - when it comes to winter time perching, the best place is navy pier. i've done so-so in the harbors at best. I'm sure there are catchable perch in burnham right now, but not as many in numbers as NP
where on the pier is a good spot ....?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the catch..Ron'chi? said:
mplant1 said:
fishinnut28 said:
where on the pier is a good spot ....?
I don't know of any particular "spots". You'll see a bunch of guys as you pull down the driveway to park your car in the garage. My suggestion is to move around often if you aren't getting hits, or you can be patient and wait for the perch. They seem to hit in schools. One hour, nothing, the next, fish on every single cast.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice Bag of Perch Mike! It was fun having some beers and fishing with ya the other night! I'm thinking of fishing this coming weekend... Let me know if you can make it.

Dave

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Just wondering if you tried any dead minnows off the bottom. I recall that the perch would even hit the dead ones if put in front of their face.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
JB said:
Just wondering if you tried any dead minnows off the bottom. I recall that the perch would even hit the dead ones if put in front of their face.
Heheheheheee.... Catfish love them I know ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jb - i saw a guy doing very well on frozen minnows. also, i had minnows on my hooks that were way dead (especially cause i was really winging my bait FAR) and the fish hit. those perch hit lots of stuff. ive run out of bait before and picked up dead fatheads of the pier and done well

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't wait to try for some perch on Navy Pier! It was great to meet you the other night and fish with you, lee, and wrench. I wish I were not so sick the other night though, this cold is kicking my ass. :(

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
koolaid2313 said:
I can't wait to try for some perch on Navy Pier! It was great to meet you the other night and fish with you, lee, and wrench. I wish I were not so sick the other night though, this cold is kicking my ass. :(
get better for the weekend. something tells me its going to be a LONG weekend of fishing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.