Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't do this weekend, I'm on some pain medication.

Week between christmas and new years is fishing week.

Gotta hit da Pier at least one morning.
I read Phil had a report showing we have to
pick through them for keepers.

Thats fine..

I'm off that week, and plan to fish..

Many rigs seemed to work, I like a 2-hook drop shot with fatheads.
Easy rig to bounce on the bottom, and to make as a set rod
with a heavier wt.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, seems they are in..
Gotta sort through them for some keepers.
For me, i like starting at 10" to keep.
Those small guys are tasty but a lot of work for the frying pan.
(Just my 2 cents since its my time cleaning them..)

Sorting through fish is fine and sounds fun.
I need action for the boys.
I'm off next week so I'll be taking about 5 kids.

If any one is interested, there is a winter carnival inside the Pier for kids.

We'll hit that after fishing...

Get cold and snow for Christmas, but Wednesday---
Winds stay west, temps stay 30-40's...

:D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Sunday? Saturday? I'm good for a Saturday perch run. Mother in law has been bugging me when I'm bringing her another batch of them tasty poiches. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Perch are going nuts on the south end in the early afternoon. Fish on every cast and not more than few minutes in between em either. One over 6 inches out of about 35-40 fish is what your dealing with. :( Minnow cut in half on the bottom, left alone or moving backwards was the ticket. Saw another dood using a piece of a perch he caught(i think) doing just as well a different day. I'd have to think some of the monster smallies are hiding somewhere along the shoreline, been a fruitless venture 1/2 dozen times to this point though. Was at belmont today after I met up with a buddy who was at the archery range practicing 50yds, happened to have his pole in the car too so he fished with me for about an hour. Was 3:45 @ first cast and I'm hopin that was why neither one of us had a tap.

Gimme a shout on the cell if ya want some company this weekend Ichy, got another spot walking distance south I want to try as well. Knee is getting back to the point where I can move around better. Still putting off the flag football til next fall though :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
my plans aren't final but i'm heading up to northpoint with uncle rockfish for some browns if the weather holds up. if not, i'm definitely up for some smallie huntin on the big pond in december. can target the poiches at the same time. 2 birds, 1 stone. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
at least this december doc. this has to be the warmest december i've experieced since moving here from cali.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have to agree Augy. It sure is mild. Maybe I'll try for some smallies next week over the holidays. :D

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Smallies in December? Shocked
Well we know they're there in the warm months. I'd have to imagine a few stick around inside the calm water of the harbor to "winter" at which point I bet they eat once or twice before it gets warm again :D Tricky part is the when & where which gives you a why so you can do it again as you desire.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I can't wait to get out and get some perch. I'm in the hospital now because I was really dizzy...to the point where I had trouble walking...and it's driving me CRAZY in here! I've had so many tests and now they're talking about doing a spinal tap :shock: . Anyways, hopefully, I'll be out today and might even get to fishing this weekend.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Hey Phil... wishing you all the best. I will keep you in my prayers. Get well, my friend!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Best wishes Phil.. get well quick there are winter fish to catch :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks guys...guess the prayers worked...I am back! Hopefully I'll be fishing again by next weekend. :) Heard just a little while ago people are limiting out on perch at Montrose and Belmont...good ones too (8-12''). There's lots of fish and not too much sorting. Get out there while it's hot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts