Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to start learning how to use baitcasters, Im a baitcaster noob :D After being a spinning guy all my life I want to see what the hype is about these baitcasters :p Im looking for a rod and reel combo for around $150. Any advice? After doing some research Ive found that people prefer Shimano's and Curado's, but Im not sure which to get :p And another thing, I will be going to the Rosemont convention center for the Outdoors Show and I was wondering if I should wait to see what kind of deals I could find there, if any haha.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Depends on what you will be fishing for. My opinion: General use bass, walleye, catfish etc... an overall good rod choice would be a 6' 6" or 7' Medium or Medium Heavy action rod with a Fast tip. Any of the big names make good equipment, Abu Garcia, Berkely, Daiwa, Shimano etc.

Get something good from the get go too, I originally got an "economical" (under $100) combo to learn with, and got kinda frustrated until I upgraded to a better reel.

Look around at Cabela's, BPS Gander Mountain websites to find something in your price range. Then go take a "feel" and compare a few in the stores to see what you think before buying.

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Go to BPS and pick up a Revo S. Then tell the guy at the reel counter that you want to make it a combo. They will pair it up with one of their rods for a substantial discount. :wink:

·
Registered
597 Posts
toothdoc said:
Go to BPS and pick up a Revo S. Then tell the guy at the reel counter that you want to make it a combo. They will pair it up with one of their rods for a substantial discount. :wink:
i aggre with doc on this one. I have played around with a Revo S and am going to buy one this spring. I currently have 1 baitcaster a Shimano Citica rigged with 14lb fireline and a 6'6 st. croix Medium action rod. ANd that was a great "first" baitcaster set up. You want to stay away from cheaper reels in my opinion. Get right into it by getting a Citica, Curado, and Revo S. BPS will hook you up with good rod as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Don't expect to find any great deals at the Rosemont show. Check out the Mik Lurch booth. They usually have some pretty good deals. But if I were you, I would just go to BPS. If you can wait until BPS has their Spring Classic in March, they usually have some good deals then. Besides, there won't be any open water to use it until then anyhow.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I also have a Revo S. Good reel for the price. Smooth casting good breaking system and a well designed drag system.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's an idea. A week ago or so I saw a Daiwa Fuego at the Orland Dick's on clearance for $150 with an extra 25% off. That is a $250 reel. For a little over a hundred you will not beat the quality of that reel. Give them a call and see if they still have it. Then pair it up with some BPS Extreme or Bionic that goes on sale this spring. You shouldn't be much over $150 and you'll have a fantastic combo. Also, they had some left-handed Shimano Citicas at greatly reduce prices. The Citica was marked well under a hundred with another 25% off. Here's another thought- If you haven't started baitcasting yet you might want to use left-handed reels. I know some guys who have switched to left-handed reels so they are not always switching hands after casting. If that is the case, those left-handed Citicas are probably less than $75.

I though for second about buying the Fuego but I already have too many reels. :shock:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Where was the Fuego!? The Dick's in Orland has a Viento in the case that's marked down to $150, but I've never seen a Fuego there. They also have the Curado D marked way down and the new Curado and the Revo S and SX for decent prices.

·
Registered
825 Posts
HMMMM... Maybe it was the Viento. If so, that's not as good of a deal (Viento is a $200 reel) but it still would be close to half off (assuming they still have 25% off clearance items.) They had 2 left-handed Citicas there also. That a little over a week ago. Give 'em a call if interested.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was looking at the Mojo Rods and I know I'm getting a 7 footer, but what is the difference between the fast and moderate option when I go to order? Are they the action of the tip of the rod? Fast tip to a moderate tip? What are the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Get the fast tip. It is a better all purpose rod. Most of my rods are fast tips. The advantage to a moderate tip rod is that more of the rod bends versus with a fast tip just the tip bends. The only time that I would want to use a moderate tip rod is maybe when throwing cranks. It allows you to get more distance. The downside is that you have to set the hook harder.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.