Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around the different websites for chicagoland fishing. I am looking to take my three daughters fishing next week. I need to find some fishing where they will get some sure action, and hopefully something larger than little bluegills. From all my reading, it seems LaSalle might be the right choice.

I've taken them before, mostly for bluegill/perch. Took them up the the Wolf River for white Bass, but we got totally skunked for two days. If we get skunked again, I might ruin them for life as fisherwomen.

Anyway, I'm thinking LaSalle, and I'm thinking I skip a boat and shore fish (I've been told to bring bikes). Will you kind folks on this board please provide me with any help you can. I'm looking for everything, as I've never been to LaSalle. Where to fish (I understand they have markers along the shore). What are the best spots. Bait. What to use, and maybe even where to get it near the lake. Methods (I've heard off the rocks early, then deeper in the middle of the day). Bobber or bottom, etc. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I hope you can understand that I want to have this be a very positive experience. We're purely catch & release.

I frankly don't care what species. I just want them to each get regular bites, catch a few, and have some fight that's better then the bluegill they are used to.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. I hope you're helping to create some fishing lovers for life.

Scott

·
Registered
593 Posts
Can't give info on Lasalle...
One extra thing to try would be Navy Pier for perch.

Its an easy walk, and they are in now...

For kids its nice because they don't care about the size..
Action is all that matters...

Park on the North side, walk out and start fishing.
Try minnows on a drop shot rig, with the hook ~12 inches
off the bottom and a 1/2 oz weight.

Hop the rig back under tension..

If they get tired, there is lots to do on the pier even a McDonalds...

I take my 2 there and they know after fishing we can go inside and walk around...

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Welcome to the site Scott!

Lasalle is probably as close to a sure thing as you're going to get. Lake Michigan might be a good idea too.

If you go to Lasalle and you can bring bikes, that will really open up opportunities as the distance of shoreline is incredibly long. There are many techniques you can use but a good idea for bigger fish, blue cats, channel cats, hybrid stripers would be chicken livers.

I'll post some more info for you later this evening.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
welcome scott. sorry i can't help you with lasalle but i'm super glad to hear your taking your daughters fishing. i can't wait til my little girl is old enough to take fishing with her pops.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
A bobber a few feet down a few feet of the rocks with a fathead. You will get small cats and largemouth all day. That will keep them interested, and if you want to set out a pole for the big boys, pitch out some chicken liver or a shiner on the bottom about 20 feet off the rocks. Normally the farther you bike, the warmer the water will be. We are talking some serious distance here though. I once put 11 miles on my bike in one day out there. You may be better off walking or just taking a very short ride with the bikes. You will be on the cold side, but from what I have heard, the walkers are still getting on some nice fish. I almost forgot. Although hardly anyone is fishing them, the gills along the rocks are suppossed to be good to. You may want to bring some waxies for them too. Good luck and make sure to let us know how you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, thanks so far. Minnows on bobbers off the rocks, and chicken livers on the bottom 20 feet out.

I understand they have markers along the shore. Can anyone point me to how far down I should start out. (We will have bikes).

Also, if I'm going to cast a bit, what lures?

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I am not too familar with the marker system, but you do not have to go too far. I would just recommed a short 15 minute ride, and then find a nice little stretch for yourselves. Shallow running shad patterned cranks thrown parralel to the rocks is a good bet for some bass if you want to try artificials.

·
Registered
131 Posts
fish the south shore go to marker 46 47 and fish between threres a deep hole there cast is far is u can use a big piece of cut bait u will hang in some pretty big blue cat. thats where a few 40 pounders came out of.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Be Careful on Bikes though, I've seen one guy trying to carry all of his fishing gear and a stringer of catfish back, He took a nasty fall and almost ended up on some rocks "luckily he didn't". But good luck out there and I look forward to a report when you get back. :D

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.