Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,i was looking for someone whos is willing to show me different popular lures like senkos,crankbaits,shad masters,spinners and every type of good lure to use i just need pics of em so i can buy a couple.So it would be great if you can name the lure and show me a pic :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
FISHING4LIFE said:
Hi,i was looking for someone whos is willing to show me different popular lures like senkos,crankbaits,shad masters,spinners and every type of good lure to use i just need pics of em so i can buy a couple.So it would be great if you can name the lure and show me a pic :)
Read some of Darth Wader's posts. He mainly fishes for smallies, but he gives lots of details and pics on the different lures that he uses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Go to tacklewarehouse. they are my favorite to browse new lures. Read articles on Bassfan or tackletour . Start thinking about where you're fishing. Is it a river, lake, stream, resevoir? What kind of fish are you targeting? Season? Clarity will almost always dictate color. Don't go too crazy on lures. When I want to learn how to use a lure, I take one rod out fishing and fish with that lure for a week. I learn so much that way. Gaining confidence is so important too.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Big Bass Lee wrote:

Gaining confidence is so important too.
This cannot be emphasized enough. Once you start landing fish on the lure that you've been "training" with, you can go forward with confidence. I've always had trouble with crankbaits and spinner baits and lack confidence because of this. I've had better responses from soft plastics and in doing so I am happy to break one of those out first.

Just wanted to jump in there because that statement that BBL made was huge!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
JB, Lee

You guys are right on. Confidence is so important. I can easily envision going to a BPS or looking online at a site and becoming completely overwhelmed. Options, Options, Options. And when you don't have a history to fall back on, it is even tougher. The good news is that the majority of the time, more than one type of presentation will catch fish on any given day.

I like what Lee talked about with seasons and water clarity. Bassmaster magazine does a great job with a "basics" section which gives you some pointers on how to fish the different seasons. Plus, those articles give a good idea as to what type of lure to throw based on the body of water you are fishing. Random thoughts.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ok, these were my best bass baits I used this season. I hope this helps your quest for catching bass.

(I'm not really a plastic worm guy, I use more hard bodied baits)

First off, I used this in deeper edges and when the weeds weren't as thick. Its a typical jointed rapala shad rap. I enjoy using it because it works on bass, and you can also catch something other than a bass, such as a pike or a walleye. Here's a pic. My best producer this year was fire tiger

Now, choosing my favorite summer time bait for bass was a tough one. I guess it depends on what the bass are feeding on at that particular lake. If I'm doing some guerilla bassing (ducking through weeds and cat tails - especially if i notice a lot of frogs jumping in the water, i know bass are munching on them) I absolutely LOVE the topwater action of a scum frog. They are a blast to use, and bass love love em! My best colors were the white frogs (both with green and red legs)

Now, this might be a close second choice for me, but I love the chatterbait. It looks like a jig/spinner bait combo. I've caught bass that have whacked this on the fall, or just by using a straight medium paced retrieve. The blade has a wicked vibration that does a good job at attracting bass. My best colors were green and white this year.

And finally, I will leave you with the never go wrong, rattle trap

Bass presentations are next to limitless, but if someone asked me for suggestions on the ones I was most confident... well, just see above. Hope this helps bud

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I have to say there is some really solid advice here. I think Lee made a great point about keeping it simple and mastering the basics of certain presentations. Even though all the advertising says so, you don't need every type of lure in your aresenal to start out with. One thing that really helped me when I first got into artificials was to downsize. I would often throw beetlesspins and smaller presentations which produced lots of action. Building confidence is much easier when you have consistent success. Once you become proficient with some of the basics of triggering strikes, seasonal patterns, and fish location, it will be much easier to fully immerse yourself into more advanced presentations and techniques. At least thats how I was hooked :wink:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
FishinMatt said:
I have to say there is some really solid advice here. I think Lee made a great point about keeping it simple and mastering the basics of certain presentations.
Well put guys. I could not agree more. Keep it simple!!!!
It may not work every day but you will find out what works "FOR YOU"
"The Confidence" part!!! ( I can't catch a bass on a deep diving crank bait to save my life)....lol so it's not my "go to bait"...more like a hail Mary :shock: when nothing else is working....hehe

Senkos and Shaky Heads worms are a good start for plastics
Spinner Baits and Chatter Baits up to 1/2 oz work well (Green and White) can't go wrong with a few of th em and a few rattle traps and your on your way. A top water frog and a Jitter bug or a pop-r are great top water lures. The simpler you make it... the less your going to be fustrated and the more fun / bites you will have :lol:

Remember most times it not the lure it's were you put that lure that counts. Learn to read the cover , weeds, stumps and docks well.

Some times Bass want a food presentation sometime they just react to a splash or a flash. just depends on the day/pattern that's working.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process...it's fun when you can figure it out :lol: and somedays you never can...look at the pro's somedays even the best pro gets blanked ...just not their day with the spots , presentation or color they are using..... While some others may be just knock'em dead :wink: Read some posts from where you may want to fish and then try what other have posted here you will get the hang of it....

·
Registered
331 Posts
BASSDOZER is da.......shizzzzzzzzz!! If you want a MASSIVE amount of info, not necessary to 'BUY IT ALL' (although I OWN it all LOL!- just ask Jason....), but he has an awesome library(as well as Yamamoto's www.INSIDELINE.com ...whom he writes for as well...) of articles, many by him, but a bunch by other authors, is a TOTAL BASS ADDICT!! While he does NOW have a 'store' on ebay, as well as directly from him(I believe), he wrote the largest body of his library before starting the store. Let's put it this way, (spreads arms, hands, and fingers before himself...) read, FISH, query us, read, EXPERIMENT, FISH, FISH, FISH!!! = http://www.bassdozer.com/articles.shtml

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.