Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on a fishing trip to delavan next weekend. I will be going for smallies walleye and pike. I plan on using Gulp alive leeches and minnows for walleye. What schould i be throwin for the bass and northern this time of year. Hopefully its not to late in the season to have some luck

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ive been looking at previuos reports

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Live bait at this time of year may be a good idea. About all I can speak for is artificials for pike though. Try some big bright colored spinnerbaits in front of the bowl area at Lakelawn. 5-12 feet usually is a good starting point. The nastier weather the more active they seem to be this time of year. Jake baits or SuperShadRaps are also good change of pace baits depending on their activity.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
Top-waters are still being used right now for Muskie! 8)

Your best best would be a spinnerbait over the top of the weeds like matt said, even jerk baits with some long pauses, if long pauses does not produce, try an agressive retrieve. The pike will be cruising the weeds in search of bait-fish ;)

I have done good years back by the old chinese boat house or windmill whatever it is in about 10-15 FOW "The boat house or windmill is a dark redish brown in color... Hope that helps.

Dave

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good advice from all above.

I was there Wednesday water temp 57 degrees wind was howling..
Made it difficult to fish the area's I wanted to. Got a few mid 20 earlier on topwater and spinerbait and a few small blowups.
Ended up getting out of the main wind and working the weed flat in front of Browns channel. Setup on the weed line 10 to 14 FOW ond worked large suckers on quick sets and small on circle hooks. We anchored becouse maintaing boat controll was difficult. The pike were cruising the weed line and about every 30 min for a period of 5 min the sucker bite would be on and you would get 3 to 5 hits.. We went thru 2 doz suckers over a 3 or 4 hr period had our bait stripped a number of times and other times had them boat side not hooked only holding the sucker and releasing at boat side. It was pretty frustrating as we both had difficulty getting a hook set. I did manage a couple but was frustrated with the missed oppertunities.
Here's the bigger one of the day.

It seemed like the bigger pike wanted fresh meat on the outside weed edge and smaller ones were chasing lures.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good Job out there man!! It seems like you guys did alright out there with consistent action. Thanks for the report!

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.