Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Daiwa Steez 103HA baitcasting reel.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCDAIWA-DSZCR.html

Looking for an all around rod to match up with this reel. General uses will be fishing all sorts of baits from spinners, jigs/grubs, crankbaits, etc.

Buying this rod reel for mainly fishing the tailwaters of a local dam that has real fast moving waters and nice smallmouth/largemouth with monster flatheads that like to think they are bass. Once fish get out in strong currents, its a struggle with my light action spinning gear.

Was looking at the G-Loomis GLX Trigger Bass Rod in a M 7' 1" size. Any info on G-Loomis rods?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58487____SearchResults
Also leaning toward the St. Croix SCV series rod in a like size/action.

This set up would also be used when I go to LaSalle Lake and reel in the big blue hawgs that are frequent there. Usually when I fish for cats at LaSalle, I fish straight over side of boat and need some muscle when brining 10+lb'ers up from 40-50 feet of water.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I made the mistake of playing with a GLX at Cabelas. Now I'm in love! That was by far the nicest rod I have ever felt. I currently have a G-Loomis GL2, and two St Croixs. But, if I could afford it, I'd switch them all out for GLX's. I don't know if they're the right rod for what you want to do, but for general bass fishing, they would be fantastic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was faced with the same dilemma a few months ago and bought a Shimano Compre. I have been more than pleased with mine especially with the value. It was a toss up between a St.Croix and the Shimano. The comparable St.Croix with lifetime warranty was 40% more.

Here is the Tackle Tour review:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocompre.html

When buying my ultralight I went with St. Croix. Been happy with that as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
You know that I am going to tell you to get a St. Croix. Everyone has there preferences and price points. I would get the best rod that you can afford, although I feel that there are some rods out there that are overpriced in my opinion. MH F action is what I would get.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
SkunkedAgain said:
I made the mistake of playing with a GLX at Cabelas. Now I'm in love! That was by far the nicest rod I have ever felt. I currently have a G-Loomis GL2, and two St Croixs. But, if I could afford it, I'd switch them all out for GLX's. I don't know if they're the right rod for what you want to do, but for general bass fishing, they would be fantastic.
I know what you mean man. Its like once you put the rod in your hands its all over. I have two spinning 6'6" light and 7' med that I only fish in the river as the rod is always in my hand. Too scare to lay them down. At $350 a pop pretty pricey. The IMX is also a great rod too.

For casting I go with the Shamino Curcial MH. Go to Lee's who has some great rod selection with killer deals. If you think loomis are the bomb you should check out the new Dawia rods. VERY NICE AND LIGHTER THAN THE LOOMIS's but a very hefty price at $500-$600 a pop. :shock:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Legend075 said:
SkunkedAgain said:
I know what you mean man. Its like once you put the rod in your hands its all over. I have two spinning 6'6" light and 7' med that I only fish in the river as the rod is always in my hand. Too scare to lay them down. At $350 a pop pretty pricey. The IMX is also a great rod too.

For casting I go with the Shamino Curcial MH. Go to Lee's who has some great rod selection with killer deals. If you think loomis are the bomb you should check out the new Dawia rods. VERY NICE AND LIGHTER THAN THE LOOMIS's but a very hefty price at $500-$600 a pop. :shock:
i agree. but if u went with the 600 doller rod, make sure u get the warranty with it and make sure u dont let it leave ur sight!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What kinda deal could I expect on a loomis rod from Lee`s ?

The only rods from Daiwa with that price tag would have to be the Steez rods :? or do they have a new line that I`m not aware of :?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Earlier in the season I had a Daiwa Light and Tough bass rod baitcaster in MH 6'3". I liked the rod alot except the one I had was too short (IMO). So I returned it and bought the G-Loomis GL2. Overall, I liked the Daiwa a little bit more because it was so light. But I liked the G-Loomis because it felt like it had more backbone. Unfortunately, the store didn't have it in 6'6" or else I'd have that. The Daiwa was $120 but I paid $100. Check it out if you get a chance, it is a very nice rod.
Here's a link to Daiwa's models
http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/freshwater.aspx

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Culprit said:
What kinda deal could I expect on a loomis rod from Lee`s ?

The only rods from Daiwa with that price tag would have to be the Steez rods :? or do they have a new line that I`m not aware of :?
I beleive those are the rods. VERY NICE!

Check your PM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody. Very anxious to get a rod for my new baitcaster. After throwing down 450 bucks for the reel, I'm not going to just slap it on any ol rod I can find.

Going up to Bass Pro (Boilingbrook) sometime this week to check some rods out. I have a couple St. Croix's (and love'em), looking to hold/feel a G-Loomis GLX, and now after seeing the Steez rod, would really like to check one of them out also.

I hope these rods are on display there. They are there to view online. Should be in store?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wow, $450 for a reel and another $400 on a rod!!! I would have to use that combo wearing white gloves in addition to taking out an insurance policy on it. :shock: I think the most expensive setup I have is a $240 reel on a $150 rod and that's for musky. More power to you I guess.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Bass,

With the rods you are looking at you are not going to go wrong. I have the 843 GLX and while it is a spectacular rod, it is not $200 better than the 7' Avid that I have. I also have the Loomis 783 IMX and that rod is only slightly more sensitive than the Avid. Personally, I don't know if I could justify the extra cost of the IMX over the Avid. If I was in your position I would look at the St Croix Legend Tournament Bass Rods closely.

If you are going with the GLX, consider the descriptions listed on this site: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgloomis ... grods.html

One more thing, you can order the rod through Tackle Warehouse and pay no shipping or tax, Just a thought. Good fishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have a St. Croix Legend Tourney and so far it is a great rod. The Shimano Cumara is another good rod at that price point as well. I can't justify spending much more than $200-$250 on a rod because the rods at that price are all good. The St. Croix Avids are probably the best bang for the $.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nothing goes better with that reel than a Daiwa Steez rod :) GLX are also incredible but I love the Steez rods because they are very sensitive, superlight, and most importantly their reel seat sits low so the reel is easier to palm.

·
Registered
330 Posts
toothdoc said:
I have a St. Croix Legend Tourney and so far it is a great rod. The Shimano Cumara is another good rod at that price point as well. I can't justify spending much more than $200-$250 on a rod because the rods at that price are all good. The St. Croix Avids are probably the best bang for the $.
Agreed on the Avids, definitely the best bang for buck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.