Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
Just joined this forum, and I felt like I should post something. I am a average fisherman, I've been lots of times in my life, but never really got into it, just borrowed other people's gear and what not. Recently I purchased a new fishing pole, gear, the works, because friends have been telling me about Beck lake, and another lake around the area. This excited me, seeing how I always wanted to go and relax with a little fishing, without the long drive. This works perfect for me, and I am more than excited to go. I was wondering any tips from people, which side of the lake to fish on, what to wear (I've heard the high grass can be a pain in the ass) and maybe a good time to go fishing in the lake. If anyone has any kind of tips, or just welcome notes, it would be greatly appreciated!!! Hope to see you out there! 8)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Welcome to WCF McMurph! We are glad to have you here. There is a lot to learn about all of the local lakes. Beck can be really tough to fish from shore. I would recommend fishing the south end all the way around the east side and up to and including the north end. Basically everything but the west side. Why don't you go back and read some of the old Beck posts to get a better feel for the lake.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Welcome to the site McMurph! You've definitely come to the right place for help and info.

First, take a look at the main Beck Lake page for general info.
http://www.windycityfishing.com/beck.htm

You will see that almost all the shoreline is accessible for fishing. Only a small area along the western shore is tough to get to, especially when the water is high.

As with any forest preserve lake, I like to get as far away from the pressure as I can. Even if it mean bushwhacking through brush to get to a low pressured spot, that's what i'll do.

All the traditional lures and baits work fine at Beck. For live bait, i've always liked leeches there.

Take a look at some past posts and i'm sure you'll find a wealth of information to get you going. And NEVER hesitate to ask any further questions. We all love helping others get on some good fish!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
welcome aboard murph!! we love beck fishermen here at wcf.

beck is right in my backyard too and a precious little lake. you won't find numbers but when you hookup, it can be a HAWG!

you may also want to check out lake glenview right across from the glen towncenter off patriot rd.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Welcome to the site Murph. I really love Beck Lake but the weeds are in really thick there now. If you don't mind walking a little you should be able to find a good spot from shore. Look for the edges of dense weeds and cast along them in the clear water. A lot of times fish will be waiting on the edge of the weed line. "Mini King" Spinnerbaits made by strike king have produced well for me there lately.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome, murph. The weeds make it nearly impossible to fish from shore there now. The thinest spot in the weeds last week was just around the bend to the left of the boat launch as you are walking up tothe shore at the launch. It looks like a tough walk through but there are little paths to get around. I would go around the bend, and fish from the little north facing clearing. There are some stumps to stand on to get off shore a little and there is a nice open pocket(or at least there was) in the weeds there.
If you goit a canoe or somehting yould be in business. Good luck out there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.