Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suzuki 60 hp outboard. Minnkota ipilot Terrova Riptide trolling motor and Humminbird Helix 9 Mega DI and SI.

Never owned a boat before. I looked at just about every aluminum boat out there. I could have saved $$ on a used one but I decided to go new. This one is built by Xtreme Boats in Bonifay, Fl. Bottom thickness is 0.187, sides and interior are 0.125. Most mass produced boats are 0.100 or less. No wood anywhere. Xtreme will build whatever you want. This is the Brute 1660. Interior is my layout. A fixed driver seat and 2 pedestals that can be moved to bow, center or stern. Interior will be covered in Carboliner, Dawn Gray. Carboliner is used on off shore oil platforms. Trailer is aluminum also built by Xtreme. Trailer tongue is removable which will allow the complete package to fit in my garage. There is also a gear track along both gunnels so I can mount rod holders, etc.

~JOE~

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in NC now. There is Kerr Lake that borders Va. That is where I will probably spend most of my time. It is a huge impoundment that I have only scratched the surface on because I currently fish out of a Hobie kayak. I鈥檓 pretty sure the world record blue cat came from there. My best is mid 30s. Also Falls Lake and Jordan Lake are nearby. Again only scratched the surface on those as well. When the MLF bass tournament was in NC Falls, Jordan and Harris lakes were fished. I also fish a small river called the Flat River. Usually spring and fall there. I plan on heading east and fishing the brackish creeks for trout, reds and flounder.

~JOE~

Registered
This looks really great, and all the options it gives you sounds fantastic. I like that you got to lay out an interior that would be custom tailored to how it would work best for you. You obviously did a ton of research. Nice.

Keep the 'in progress' pics coming!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are a small company with only a few dealer outlets. My build wasn鈥檛 any more than what a dealer charges. Actually it is a bit better cost wise because the dealer boats have a smaller outboard.

I started the process in April. Originally they told me end of July. So off by a month. Should be done end of this week. They said that they were hit hard by the corona this summer. I guess almost every week there was at least one employee out. I wasn鈥檛 in any hurry either. I waited this long so what was another few weeks. I looked at buying a new Ranger and back in April they told me to expect a July delivery.

Hopefully I will be picking her up in Florida next week. Just in time for fall and winter fishing.

~JOE~

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got her home last weekend. I installed the Ipilot and my Hummingbird unit and some rod holders.
Made the maiden voyage on Friday. As of now I am very satisfied. The Suzuki outboard starts immediately and is very quiet. My only issue so far was my seat was a little too far from the steering wheel. I didn鈥檛 know that a sliding seat was an option. I ended up using some angle iron and attaching it to the bottom of my seat then mounting the angle iron to the seat base. Worked like a champ and cost was zero. I used a piece of a bed frame that was being thrown out.
No fish caught yet because on my first voyage I wanted to get my trolling motor calibrated and learn how to use it and my electronics. The Humminbird has a lot of options. It is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me.
I never launched or retrieved a boat before so I used a ramp that I knew would be empty. I practiced backing her in a few times and launching and retrieving a few times. I could see that a cross wind will affect retrieving. The hardest part so far is backing into my garage. Got about 8 inches on both sides between my car and the door frame.

Stay tuned I plan on making my first catfish trip next week.

~JOE~

Registered
Congrats on the new rig, I鈥檓 still fishing out of a 1977 StarCraft and due for an upgrade so I may message you in the near future about these guys.
good luck on that first outing and you鈥檒l learn all the little nuances of launching & loading pretty quickly.

tight lines sir.

Registered
For anyone new to combo vehicle driving, when backing up, hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Move hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. Hand on the bottom eliminates the whole "turn opposite way" thing you deal with when your hands are on top of the steering wheel. Best to get the trailer tail pointed as best you can to where you want it to go even before you back up. Been driving a semi for 20yrs and have trained countless new drivers with that technique.

To be perfectly honest, the shorter the trailer the harder it is to back up imo. A 53' foot trailer is no problem for me, but when I take the boat out once a month I sometimes get caught off guard by how fast she swings and end up having to pull up and straighten her out. The kind of stuff I'd cuss out other drivers for doing in the yards...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had her out today. A few small cats. Nothing pic worthy.
I backed down into the water and jump in the boat. Turn the key and nothing.
Put the boat back on the trailer, pull out and park out of the way. I鈥檓 thinking some how the cranking battery is dead. Unhook the trailer and get my jumper cables and hook up my van to the boat. Leave it on for about 10 minutes. Give the key a turn and still nothing. Then I happen to see that the shifter is in gear. Put it back to neutral and she fires right up. I must have bumped it and put it in gear. What a dope.

Backing into my drive requires a 90 degree turn. I nailed it today. Swung her right in while my neighbor watched. I got out and acted like I do it everyday.

The follow the contour feature on my trolling motor and depth finder is absolutely fantastic.

~JOE~

1 - 20 of 21 Posts