Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've picked up fishing again after a long break (about 10 or 15 years). I got some gear and fitted a tackle box. 1 UL pole with small spinning reel. 1 M pole with larger spinning reel. Loaded both with mono (4# on UL, 8# on M). Bunch of hard baits, jigs, few spoons and spinners, and some soft baits, in the box.

Last week I went out to Busse lake and got totally skunked, not even a bite. I tried out several baits trying to stick to weedless and texas rigged softs. Now I would like to give the fox a try.

I was looking at google maps and there seems to be a nice spot in Geneva. Island park and old mill park seem to be decent spots. I'm living in schaumburg so some place that's not a far drive is preferable.

Any suggestions on baits, techniques, or locations? Anyone fish those two parks, what are they like, crowds?
I've also never fished a river, not sure what to do about current or where to throw the bait.

Thanks for any help,
chris

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Welcome to the board chris!=)

Search through the older posts. There's lots of information already here for you.
Pretty much anything by author "KenG" will be a fantastic place to start.

Learn to think of and use current as your ally and you'll be fine=)

Good Luck!

Ddub

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
And fopoil when he's not out on the Des Plaines. But don't follow Darth around too much if you see him on the river. I'm surprised he hasn't drowned yet. :shock:

Rivers are easier than lakes once you get the hang of it.
I will save you lots of trouble though, don't cast upstream.
Quarter down stream and let it swing down even more. Hardly reel at all. Just move your rod tip around to make whatever you have on look like its swimming around. Nothing swims up stream fast, so go horribly slow.

Look for fast water next to slower water and fish using the technique above. Put the lure a foot either way between the fast and slow water. The colder the water, like now, the more you should be fishing the slow side. Warm water, fish faster water.

Did I mention go real slow.

Geneva is good all the way down past the crap plant. St. Charles isn't bad, but it's been a long time since I've fished it. I do know the west side can be pretty darn good.

Get waders. Much more fishable water and hardly any people out in the middle of the river.

This should get you started. Go, come back and ask more questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ken G,
That's exactly the type of advise I need. When at busse last weekend I was trying to toss up stream in salt creek and trying to crank and twitch like I was in the still water.
So, basically let the current do the work while you look for changes in it. ?
I think I'm going out both sat and sunday this week so I might try and hit a few different spots south of elgin.

Waders still make me nervous, esp in the spring and by myself. I'll check out the river this weekend and get a feel for it.

Thanks again,
chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
chrisj said:
So, basically let the current do the work while you look for changes in it. ?
That's pretty much it.
I've always liked South Elgin better, but again, it's been a few years.

Water is a little high and flowing at about 3100 cubic feet a second. That even stops me from going a lot of places. But it does make for better shore fishing.

South Elgin, east side, dam to the bridge. Make sure you're casting about 40 feet out just for the heck of it and within 6 inches of the shore on the way back in.

Have fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heysamb,
Thanks for the thread hijack and bump :)

This advise might be completely worthless, 'cause I got skunked again this weekend. Maybe someone else will chime in again and let us both know what I was doing wrong.

I know most people don't mention "their spots" here but I help a guy out. If there are 10,000 ppl fishing there next week I guess I'll learn my lesson :) I went for a few hours on both saturday and sunday to fergeson creek park on rt 31 about 1.5 miles south of North St. Charles high school. It looked like a decent spot. There was a creek on the north side and a shallow pool on the south. I saw a few others there during the time I was there but it was not (so far) crowded.

I was also nervous about what to use that wouldn't get hung up on the bottom. I started with weedless johnson spoon (one of my fav lures) which worked (didn't get hung up, but remember I got skunked) pretty well. I also threw a shallow crank bait until I caught a tree on the other side of the pool to the south, but it didn't snag on the bottom. The 1/8 oz jig caught up quite a bit, I always got it back but it was really deformed by the time I was done (cheap walmart jigs). I used a soft plastic jerk bait for a while (waitless) but had a problem casting it and it would drift really fast back to the shore but down river. I would wind up fishing 4 ft off the bank 20 feet down river. I didn't use any texas rigged worms but I would figure you'd do ok with them, bullet sinkers are hard to snag and the worm should flow down stream if you give it slack.

I know nothing about waders so I can't help there.

Anyone else want to chime in and help the newbs?
TIA,
chrisj

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't go to the Fox as often as I'd like to, but I've always had "luck" near Roosevelt and 31. I stay on the east side of the river, and just walk the shore, from those islands just north of 38, all the way down to the train tracks. Small cranks bumping along the bottom work well, as well as big inline spinners, like a Mepps #4 or 5. Don't underestimate how vicious those smallies are...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.