Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've picked up fishing again after a long break (about 10 or 15 years). I got some gear and fitted a tackle box. 1 UL pole with small spinning reel. 1 M pole with larger spinning reel. Loaded both with mono (4# on UL, 8# on M). Bunch of hard baits, jigs, few spoons and spinners, and some soft baits, in the box.

Last week I went out to Busse lake and got totally skunked, not even a bite. I tried out several baits trying to stick to weedless and texas rigged softs. Now I would like to give the fox a try.

I was looking at google maps and there seems to be a nice spot in Geneva. Island park and old mill park seem to be decent spots. I'm living in schaumburg so some place that's not a far drive is preferable.

Any suggestions on baits, techniques, or locations? Anyone fish those two parks, what are they like, crowds?
I've also never fished a river, not sure what to do about current or where to throw the bait.

Thanks for any help,
chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ken G,
That's exactly the type of advise I need. When at busse last weekend I was trying to toss up stream in salt creek and trying to crank and twitch like I was in the still water.
So, basically let the current do the work while you look for changes in it. ?
I think I'm going out both sat and sunday this week so I might try and hit a few different spots south of elgin.

Waders still make me nervous, esp in the spring and by myself. I'll check out the river this weekend and get a feel for it.

Thanks again,
chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heysamb,
Thanks for the thread hijack and bump :)

This advise might be completely worthless, 'cause I got skunked again this weekend. Maybe someone else will chime in again and let us both know what I was doing wrong.

I know most people don't mention "their spots" here but I help a guy out. If there are 10,000 ppl fishing there next week I guess I'll learn my lesson :) I went for a few hours on both saturday and sunday to fergeson creek park on rt 31 about 1.5 miles south of North St. Charles high school. It looked like a decent spot. There was a creek on the north side and a shallow pool on the south. I saw a few others there during the time I was there but it was not (so far) crowded.

I was also nervous about what to use that wouldn't get hung up on the bottom. I started with weedless johnson spoon (one of my fav lures) which worked (didn't get hung up, but remember I got skunked) pretty well. I also threw a shallow crank bait until I caught a tree on the other side of the pool to the south, but it didn't snag on the bottom. The 1/8 oz jig caught up quite a bit, I always got it back but it was really deformed by the time I was done (cheap walmart jigs). I used a soft plastic jerk bait for a while (waitless) but had a problem casting it and it would drift really fast back to the shore but down river. I would wind up fishing 4 ft off the bank 20 feet down river. I didn't use any texas rigged worms but I would figure you'd do ok with them, bullet sinkers are hard to snag and the worm should flow down stream if you give it slack.

I know nothing about waders so I can't help there.

Anyone else want to chime in and help the newbs?
TIA,
chrisj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.