Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
And fopoil when he's not out on the Des Plaines. But don't follow Darth around too much if you see him on the river. I'm surprised he hasn't drowned yet. :shock:

Rivers are easier than lakes once you get the hang of it.
I will save you lots of trouble though, don't cast upstream.
Quarter down stream and let it swing down even more. Hardly reel at all. Just move your rod tip around to make whatever you have on look like its swimming around. Nothing swims up stream fast, so go horribly slow.

Look for fast water next to slower water and fish using the technique above. Put the lure a foot either way between the fast and slow water. The colder the water, like now, the more you should be fishing the slow side. Warm water, fish faster water.

Did I mention go real slow.

Geneva is good all the way down past the crap plant. St. Charles isn't bad, but it's been a long time since I've fished it. I do know the west side can be pretty darn good.

Get waders. Much more fishable water and hardly any people out in the middle of the river.

This should get you started. Go, come back and ask more questions.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
chrisj said:
So, basically let the current do the work while you look for changes in it. ?
That's pretty much it.
I've always liked South Elgin better, but again, it's been a few years.

Water is a little high and flowing at about 3100 cubic feet a second. That even stops me from going a lot of places. But it does make for better shore fishing.

South Elgin, east side, dam to the bridge. Make sure you're casting about 40 feet out just for the heck of it and within 6 inches of the shore on the way back in.

Have fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.