Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just complete my combo got a St. Croix Mojo Rod 7'0 MH and Moderaate Action and just bought an Abu Garcia Revo SX. Will be used for my crankbaits. What line would you suggest. Cant wait to use it

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
:? braid sucks for cranks. Im hoping your sx is the 6:4?
Anyways, if its for deep cranks fish either mono or fluoro usually 10lb test to get the crank down in the target zone there easier. If its for shallow cranks use 14lb test. I actually use the same rod and reel for deep/shallow cranks and I have 12lb suffix mono on mine. Good luck. Usually you want to stay between 10-17lb test for cranks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My preference for anyone that cares.... :roll: is a 6' pistol grip med rod with 15lb braid for shallow cranks. reason being is that short rod gives me way more accuracy in tight places. The braid works better as far as being able to slug the fish outta the nasty. 7'10 med rod with 10-12lb flouro for deep cranks. Flouro gives me a better feel like braid, but is invisible and still small diameter. Plus it's very resistant to abrasion. If your deep crankin you'd better be hittin stuff down there! I know a lot of pro's like a slower reel for deep crankin, but the faster gear should work for shallow stuff. Sounds like you've got a great combo for any type of crankin, eh?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Winnebasschamp said:
My preference for anyone that cares.... :roll: is a 6' pistol grip med rod with 15lb braid for shallow cranks. reason being is that short rod gives me way more accuracy in tight places. The braid works better as far as being able to slug the fish outta the nasty. 7'10 med rod with 10-12lb flouro for deep cranks. Flouro gives me a better feel like braid, but is invisible and still small diameter. Plus it's very resistant to abrasion. If your deep crankin you'd better be hittin stuff down there! I know a lot of pro's like a slower reel for deep crankin, but the faster gear should work for shallow stuff. Sounds like you've got a great combo for any type of crankin, eh?
Cool, you just taught this old dawg some new tricks. I often apply a shorter rod for skipping baits, but I never really thought of it in the context of shallow water cranks.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Try fluorocarbon line for crankbaits its a nice middle between the stretch of mono ( which I prefer to use , lets the fish really take the bait ) and the lack of stretch in braided line which makes it far too easy for an angler to rip the lure right out of a fishes mouth before he has a chance to really take it.
If your worried about losing baits then go with braid and you`ll get most of them back :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.