Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently this year i started fishing frogs, rats, mouse lures in lilly's and slop so I decided to go with braid becasue a guy from BPS told me this was the best way to go. I decided to go with the spiderwire stealth and man does this thing not cast!! It gets tangled and digs into the line and gets me a birds nest. You guys have any tips on how I can prevent braids from getting tangled?? Also, the guy i talked to told me the spiderwire stealth are suppose to cast far!!!??? Is it cuz im using a smaller spinning reel. does it have to be bigger?? tips please. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I went into FishTech a few weeks ago to get some braided put on my spinning reel. The guy told me he would put it on the reel but he knew I wouldn't like it. He recommended sticking with mono.

My bait caster is a different story. Been using braided all year and I will never go back.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Some braided line works great on spinning reels, but you have to keep the pounded low. So you can't use 30# braid on a medium sized spinning reel, but you can use 10# braid. The guide I use up on Lake Geneva has some spinning reels with braided line and they work perfectly fine. I think the problem arises because braided line is not round like mono so it has a greater chance of catching itself and pulling more off the spool then it should. I would steer clear of braided line on a spinning reel if at all possible. For the most part spinning reels are meant for finesse fishing so you should be using lighter lines to begin with. If you need braided line because of heavier structure or bigger fish you should be using a baitcasting reel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.