Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a puppy to this site and have only fished at Busse Lake out of all these lakes on site. And I just have a few questions for Lake Opeka.

1. Is it all open water or just a few areas of open water

2. What fish species are there and are they abundant or are some fish species a rare catch there

3. Where should I fish from shore and if it's possible to fish from a rented boat where should I fish from a boat

4. What lures should I use for fishing different fish species

5. Finally are all fish species biting right now or just one fish species is biting right now

Sorry for all the questions all information would be appreciated. Can't wait to try Lake Opeka. :D :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1. all open
2.bass-abudant
bluegill-abudant
crappie-abudant but can be difficult to catch
catfish & bullhead- some
pike- very rare only caught one last year
3. no rented boats, you can put your own boat in. FISH NOWWW! fish the golf course before its too late, check out my latest post, i caught a 4lb lmb today! golf course you are not allowed to fish in summer.
4. same lures you would use anywhere else for the fish your targeting.
5. right now- pretty much just bass, in a month everything will be biting. the bass are very dificult now tho.

·
Registered
702 Posts
And please let's not forget...YOU MUST PURCHASE A PASS FROM THE BOATHOUSE TO FISH THERE! It is not free. They use the money to stock the lake. It is a halfway decent fishery because of this so let's keep it that way. There are enough a--holes who blow off buying a pass and fish there anyway, please do not add to their irresponsible and disrespectful number. It's a disgrace to the many fine sportsmen on this site who enjoy their sport responsibly and respectfully.
***end of justifiable rant***

Otherwise, as fishkid states, it is a good fishery, not great, but good. You can rent a boat but its not cheap. You can launch your own for $10 a day or @ $50 a season. Hours to launch are 11am till about 7pm or so, depends on the old fart in the boathouse, when he wants to leave he calls all boats in, doesn't really matter what time it is. Fishing passes are not cheap for non-residents, something in the neighborhood of $50 a year. Considering gas prices these days it may very well be worth it if you live fairly close. Residents pay about $20 a year. I will likely get a pass to fish this year but am not sure about the boat launch, its getting pricey and since the old man doesn't really follow the open hours it is hardly worth it unless you fish mainly afternoons.

Anyway, it's ok for where it is. It is getting more and more pressure these past couple seasons so shore fishing is a bit tough unless you work by walking around from spot to spot. There are few good spots from the open shoreline, but enough to keep a weekday angler happy. Evenings and weekends are filled with families and bucketheads. Honestly, the first season (two years ago) that I fished there it was truly awesome. I had 12+ fish outings every time I went (daily) May through July. These last couple seasons have been substantially less active for me, but I've also fished it a lot less. But, its still a good place to get a line wet. Senko's work good, bucktails are good, spinners are good. Pretty much target bass, but carp are becoming abundant there too (so says the boathouse guy) if that's your thing. There are decent northern pike in there, but they have the run of the lake and the good weedbeds are golf course side.

But one last time, please respect the lake and those of us who call Opeka our home fishery by playing by the rules and buying a pass. If people don't buy a pass then it gets more pressure than the Park District thinks (based on purchased fishing passes). This will only result in Opeka going the way of Busse, Beck, and maybe even that honeyhole Big Bend. Generally I'm not a dick, but I've seen and talked to too many people who just don't care about anybody but themselves and fish there without a pass thinking it hurts noone. It does hurt those who actually care about the sport and the potential Opeka could have if numbers of people paid for the pass, showing the DP Park District it could be a viable sport fishery and source of revenue and attractiveness for the village.

Tight lines...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everybody and I will definitely purchase a pass. I'm with you topwater I hate people who don't follow the law and especially when their hurting our fisheries.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Is it $10 to launch plus the daily pass? How much is the daily pass? Opens the launch at 11 o'clock? That is ridiculous... Is there a gate there? Maybe when it is golf season, they allow you to launch earlier especially when there is much more business?

I wan't to try this lake again this year but not if I have to wait until lunch time... Haven't fished it in 10-12 years but based on the reports out of here, looks like it has become a good bass fishery... - BPM

·
Registered
702 Posts
Unfortunately they only open the lake when there is a college guy on duty to monitor the lake. He starts at 11am, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. The golf thing has nothing to do with the lake hours though. Yeah, it is a joke, but one that likely won't change. Last season it was $10 a day to launch, this year its probably $15. The season launch fee is an ok deal, but you won't be able to get out for either the dawn or dusk bites. The boating on the lake is really all about the 'yacth club' that meets there to do their sailboat thing. Fishermen just kind of get lumped into that priviledge by people having bitched enough. Yeah, there is a gate and it is locked until time to launch, and closed when the lake is closed up at end of day. I had the old fart almost try an lock me in once, they really are dicks!

Check out the Des Plaines Park District website:

fishing fees: http://www.desplainesparks.org/faciliti ... ishing.asp

they don't have the launch fees up and I don't think they rent row boats anymore. It is a no motor lake (not even electric) but generally they allow you to use a trolling motor if no one complains. Yes, you need to pay to launch and pay to fish, its not lumped together at all. Oh, and you have to wear a life jacket at all times! Kinda annoying, but again, if your out of sight of the boathouse nobody really cares, usually. Sad thing is the better drops and weed beds are out of reach from shore as they are along the golf course side, so by boat is the only way to get to them. But, two years ago they were hoping in the boat along that shoreline...last year not so much. The lake is getting a lot more pressure...

like i said, i doubt i'm gonna launch again, probably not worth it and its a hassle. but getting a pass to fish isn't that out of reason considering it keeps most ne'er do wells away and the lake a half way decent shot at catching a fish compared to most FP lakes. Plus Fishkid keeps pulling nice LMB's outta there!

Have fun, but please pay to play! :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There were trout in there the last time I fished it but that was 15 years ago... My dad caught one when I was a kid... Are they still in there? Well, if they are there could be some monsters lurking by that sunken jeep...

BPM

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
"topwater" is definitely the best source for quality info on Lake Opeka as he lives right by it and has fished it for years.

The east shoreline of the lake is easily worked from shore. Unfortunately, all the best structure and depths are along the west shore (the golf course side). That being said, i've heard reports of some real nice largemouth bass, northern pike, and catfish from that lake.

It doesn't get a lot of attention from serious anglers because of the goofy accessibility and fees. They DO stock the lake, but again, the management for fishing is a joke. Too bad the par-3 golf course gets all the attention.

On that note, the golf course is fun for the novice. All you need is a wedge and a putter. And to think I STILL finished over par there! :oops:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Seebass said:
This lake sounds like a major PITA to fish.
It is!!! But that's also what keeps it halfway decent. If it were free access it would be fished out like the FP lakes in no time. It's bad enough with the passes, there has been a noticable pressure increase this last season, mostly buckethead types.

thanks for the kudos J, but fishkid has that lake mapped! he probably has a better take on it at this point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.