Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Friday, I get done with my one and only class at 1115am and will have approximately 4-5hrs to kill until the party/going out with lady occurs.

Anyone have any suggestions with the harbor fishing? I'm a noob and have never fished any of them before.

I'll be up at Loyola at the Lakeshore campus (Near Sheridan & Bryn Mawr). I think the closest harbors are Belmont and Montrose (i think??).. not sure.

I'll be after the Bass for sure.

But what about casting for Salmon? Are they in yet? If I just want to C&R them, do I still need a trout/salmon stamp?

Also, what is the parking situation like at the harbors? Is the shoreline fishing access pretty easy? If you have directions, it would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've never really fished from Belmont but I've tried Montrose a couple of times. I don't know what the SMB situation is there right now but the kings should be coming in.
I would say that you will definitely need a Salmon stamp if you're at the lakefront. As far as C&R, I would say that if you DO catch a salmon, offer it to one of the other fishermen there. I'm pretty sure that the Salmon come to the harbors to die anyways, and the trauma they endure from being caught just expedites it.
The parking situation at Montrose is good. They have parking all along the road by the horseshoe.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Andrew_R said:
Cool. Thanks for the help and lack of advice. I'll keep it in mind for whenever I'm asked to help someone out the next time I get questions sent over my way.

Sorry. Can't play on weekend of 27th. Won't be in IL. :(
ive only caught 2 salmon in 3 yrs ive been harbor fishing.

I just keep casting spoons and deep cranks cast cast cast cast is really all it is.

Ur gonna need a net

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
The salmon are indeed coming in. One of the most popular methods is casting glow-in-the-dark spoons at night. Most use a camera flash to "charge" the spoons.

A long-handle net is a must.

Parking at Montrose is easy, there is plenty. Belmont too, especially in the evenings.

I may try to get down to Montrose one evening this coming week. If ya go, let me know and i'll join you.

As for the bass, haven't heard many reports lately but they should be going well, especially the smallies. Tube jigs always do well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used to fish at Burnham on the harbor side by the pipe. I'd say 95% of the fish were caught on spawn sacks under slip-bobbers.

I caught a few on the usual lures, spoons, deep-cranks, and rattle traps, but was greatly out-fished by the guys using spawn sacks.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Hey Andrew I've gone down there at night and fished near the inlet to the Chicago River just south of that is a harbor that is popular. Parking can be a bit tough and from what I recall you can get a parking pass. I think it was DuSable harbor. Anyway, I've seen fish caught on KO Wobblers and big rapalas or reef runners. Glow in the dark works best but I've seen it where the fish just hit it cuz it's in there way. Bring a big rod with heavy pound test. I haven't done it that much cuz of the lack of response. I've seen them caught tho. Don't worry about a net so much cuz someone is always down there that is willing to help out with one for the most part. Good Luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.