Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats going on everybody? im new to the site and im getting back into fishing after about 13 years......i fish the fox usually....either in yorkville where i live or in aurora right by smitty's baitshop......anybody know anyother spots or wanna fish hit me up

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Welcome to the sire, a.lange! Like others, you'll be hooked again after the long layoff. Lots of great info here.

The Yorkville has been area has been mixed for me this year. The construction by the dam hasn't helped. And the recent rains wreaked even more havoc!

We've got some great folks here. You'll be catching some good fish for sure with the help from the people here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A.Lange, Welcome to the site. Not sure what you want to fish for and not sure of the river level as of today,but just upstream from Yorkville there's a nice little park called Saw Wee Kee off of Minkler road coming from 71. You can get in and wade if the river level permits and fish for smallies or catch a bunch of cats around the islands there. What I do usually is either bring some friends so we have a second vehicle or bring a bicycle. Park at the park and ride the bike up to the bridge and lock it to the guardrail. Wade back down to the park around the islands and pick the bike up on the way out.I believe it's prolly only a 3/4 mile wade but there's some good fishing in that stretch.
Perhaps Ken G. or Darth Wader will point you in the right direction, they're the masters of the Fox :D .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks for the info....i usually fish for cats and bass.....but im open for anything.....last year i went out on lake michigan with my boss at the baitshop and fished for some trout and salmon....it was hella fun

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Yorkville has been area has been mixed for me this year. The construction by the dam hasn't helped. And the recent rains wreaked
even more havoc!

i was just down there the other day and it seemed kinda shallow....i saw people wading across it.....i caught a 2lb smallie on some chicken liver....thats about it......i did hook into something big but my line snapped....now i regret leaving some of my equipment at a buddies house......damn beers lol......but i get it back today thankfully........if anyone wants to fish by the yorkville damn ill be down there almost under the rt. 47 bridge from about 400 or 430 til when ever

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I haven't actually targeted cats much this year.

In years past I've had success on chicken livers...but much moreso on live bait procured from the river. Just PLEASE remember to leave some for the fish! Alot of guys have been coming down and netting FAR more than they will ever use...leaving nada for the fishes.:x

Aside from starving the dang fish... it leaves the bass so hungry they are almost too easy to catch...and I prefer a challenge :D

Word on the river is that craw imitators have been the choice bait for smallies...not that I'd know anything about that :wink:

Thanks for the props jdisci...but Im justa grashoppah=)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am also new to the site and area. I just moved to Elgin and would like to fish the Fox River. I grew up on Lake Michigan and fished for brows, kings, rainbow, and pan fish.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Welcome to the site, Karen. We have a few Fox River experts here so you'll find plenty of great info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.