Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to go to Heidecke for the first time. Just wondering about this time of year? espceially with the recent heat wave were going through. Just looking for general info. Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to WCF
From what I have seen few people know anything about Heidecke. Lots of questions and few answers. Never fished there and not sure I want to try, but I probably will later in the year for Walleye. Trolling sounds like the best bet.
Good luck
LUV2FISH

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oldsalt,
What I am looking for is Walleye and how to catch them on this lake. I am fishing from a 16ft walleye boat with GPS/depthfinder. I have heard that there is a good walleye population in this lake. My experience with walleye fishing is backtrolling Lil Joe's with live or artifical minnows. Also trolling crank baits. What would you suggest?
Thanks
L2F

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
The shad hatch makes it tough this time of year. Very hit and miss. If you can get under the bridge to the North side, that normally is the side to fish. Lots of ledges coming off the shoreline. Normally, cranks trolled off these ledges from 8-12 feet are the best. Planer boards work good too but are not always necessary. I usually wait until the last 2 weeks before it closes to fish it. You will also run into some nice hybrid stripers trolling. Backtrolling or jigging the ledges is productive too, but something I do not often try.

Here is a few fall hybrids caught trolling the north side

You will also run into the occasional crappie, smallmouth, catfish, and muskie trolling.

And a Spring walleye trolling by the north side power lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.