Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, have a slow pitch to throw to you brilliant folks. Just bought a boat and working to do my research. Tradionally before being able to be on the water, I fished on shores and typically only areas that didn't get my line hung up at areas that had vegetation or docks. So I was limited in where I could go.

Now with a boat, I have a choice to hit different areas on a lake. So I'm trying to understand vegetation, depth, temperature/thermocline and edges. All that.

Been reading about fishing the wind blown section of riprap or the wind blown side of the lake. Is that the side that the waves are coming to or the waves are leaving from?

Or maybe is this the area that is actually being hit by wind (not sure how you could tell which area is being hit by wind - if so, how can you tell?) Is there a question about this that I'm not asking and should?

Thanks for your help in advance, guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wind blown is the side that the wind is blowing in on. Which in turn tends to blow baitfish to and stirs up the water with the wave action which in turn can dislodge critters (crayfish and bait fish) so they're easier for predator species to eat.

·
Registered
401 Posts
your wind-blown shore is the shoreline where the current is taking the water into the shore and the waves are blowing up against the structure/shoreline/rocks etc. much of the time the current takes the baitfish, whatever it may be and blows it into that shore and the bait just piles up in massive schools. where the baitfish are, the predators follow :) If it's a bit choppy the waves a lot of time will bounce baitfish off the structure. Lasalle, heidecke, lake michigan all have rock shorelines everywhere and the bait typically get bashed off the rocks and get stunned and the fish swing in for an easy meal :) It happens a lot on Lake Michigan with the late summer/fall salmon runs when they come in shallow the shad get beat up against the rocks and the salmon have a buffet along the shoreline :lol:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Windblown is the area getting hit by waves. You can have a windblown shoreline or often times you'll hear talk of windblown points. Many times windblown areas are harder to fish due to boat control but they can also be the more productive areas since the wind blows in the microorganisms which bring in the minnows which bring in the gamefish. Also, the windy areas will get a little shot of oxygen. If you are bass fishing, try fast moving baits in these areas like spinnerbaits or crankbaits. It might be too tough to fish plastics or jigs in these spots. Hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.