Chicago Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Here we go again :shock:

What side of the river..east or west? I used to stop there alot after work. The spot gets pounded by the bucketheads.. Garbage everywhere (There is an old man that walks the shore and picks up after the slobs, otherwise it would look 10 times worse), fish of all sizes and species taken away on stringers and in buckets. Makes me sick...rarely ever stop there anymore.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
so yeah.... next time you ask for tips on how to catch a pike in the skokie lagoons, i'll just respond and say that you should use do-balls.

hate to see those guys taken away on stringers too

:roll:

but nice catch. i'm gonna have some popcorn ready for this thread...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Give a man a muskie. He will eat for a week.
It is a legal fish you know, whether you like the end result or not.

I don't recall muskie (smallies, flatheads and pike for all that matters) becoming deities.

Unless we really have become a pagan society and someone has been out there announcing that they're gods.

Next thing you know it will be like India around here. Bunch of starving people wandering the streets with a perfectly good food source they can't touch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That makes me sick .......its a wonder why there are declining populations of trophy fish in the fox. I know its tour right to keep fish of legal size. But don't you think about the status of the fishery?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
It gets in my craw when I read everyone here diminishing this mans experience.

So what if you wouldn't have kept it. I wouldn't have either but it was only up to one person and they did what they wanted end of story.

If I had to venture a guess this is probably the biggest fish regardless of species he has caught in his life.

Good for him! I'm sure he enjoyed it and had a great time. Maybe next time he catches one like that he will have the "been there done that" mentality....maybe not.

This was his experience that he felt like sharing, for that we should be grateful.

Ken you're right they're not that bad tasting really but with all your knowledge I am surprised you still feel this way. I eat some Northern when we go to Canada every year(the small ones). It's a sonnabeech to get all those bones out. As far as just being a food source, Possum innards and squirrel tail stew is much better. When you're done with the first round you just get some more vege's and dump them in a pot with the leftovers from the bone plate and you're good to go. Last summer I had some pickled suckers(river redhorse maybe?) that rivaled herring too. Plenty of other options for the table.

I think there is a school of thought that already precede's this discussion. I'm from MN and there is a pretty good fella from up that way too. His name is Babe Winkelman, I'm sure everyone has heard of him?

At some point anglers need to make a discrepancy as to which fish to harvest and which to release. Any body of water that has "Trophy fish" needs to maintain a certain population level of those high end predators to further propagate the gene pool with their strain or they go away forever. Once a genetic strain die's out the only way to bring it back is to clone it. I'm not sure I want to even catch a cloned fish let alone think about eating one. Big fish get big for a reason. In addition to the probability of increased sensory acuity more often times than not they are more resilient to illnesses as well. That's one of the reasons they stock the Chain with the Chippewa flowage strain is because of their resiliency.

When I was a kid I used to keep every big fish I caught and bring them back to my grandmothers house and put it in her bathtub haha(mostly cats & carp). She would come home scream at me for about 5 minutes and then make me take it back to the river after I bartered her to take a picture from the process. After one summer I killed a 40+ inch northern I had caught right below the batavia dam(helluva story behind that one too). When I went back to MN I remember watching Babe on tv talking about bass fishing and he made a statement that I think could easily be applied not just to smallmouth but to trophy fish in general. "Indeed, a 20-inch smallie should never be harvested for the frying pan. That's why the Good Lord created walleyes, crappies and other panfish."

There are lots of fish for everyone to eat, by selectively harvesting we can make sure it stays that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.