Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have been having a touch of warm weather lately I've noticed that the bite has diminished a bit. I've had to work harder for the few fish that I've been catching. It's an oven out there during the day and I can't say, for as much of a fishaholic that I am, that I wanna get out on the water. So my interests are limited to sunset and the nightbite.
Last night I went out to a pond in the Joliet area to try my luck at a bit of nightfishing. I didn't hit the water til about 11 pm due to other restraints and so it was already later then desired.
Anyway I took the old school approach and bought a couple of those little glow sticks that you can attach to the slip bobber and started casting in the general vicinity of the deeper hole in this pond. I'm still working on the nite fishing with artificials but for now I'm going to the tried and true.

On the first cast I was shocked to get a nice strike with some pulling power. After a short battle I managed to land this guy:

That got me a bit excited so I didn't hesitate to toss out the line again...during which time I continued to get an exceptional number of bites. There are a fair number of gills out there so I had to kind of work my way around them. It took awhile to get the next decent hit which burned my drag running several times before ultimately busting the line. :cry:

After a bit of frustration and excitement I moved down a bit and worked the hole from that viewpoint(actually no viewpoint since it was freakin' dark out there). Another drag burner grabs on and this time I'm not going to let it get the best of me. This sucker ran several times and I was almost giddy thinking it was a hawg! Played him out and landed the fish which turned out to be this guy:

He came in around 1245am......so we got cats and bass...and gills. Not a bad assortment. Of course I got the line back out there and things slowed a bit. Still some action but not as much as between 11pm and 1am.

I was getting a bit tuckered out so I moved around a bit to see what else might be biting and busted this guy at the end.

He came around at about 140am.....so the bass were still biting just not as consistent. On the other hand, I don't think bluegills take a break...they were a guaranteed strike throughout the whole time I was there. Why couldn't they be crappie, I probably would have never gone home if that were the case!

Looking forward to the next night bite!

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Nice nighttime fish, JB! I used to love to fish for catfish at night up on the Chain. The excitement when the drag burns and it's pitch dark out is pretty damned exciting!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice job of adjusting tactics to get out of the heat and still enjoy getting some decent fish..

I can't stand fishing when it's full sun and above 80.. As much as I hate it I still end up staying out there too long.

NPIKE

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys....it was alot of fun being out on the water. The night time breeze cooled things off and around midnight the crescent moon showed up to shed a little light. It's funny tho...without any light it's like you know the lake is in front of you but you are wondering if the bobber is sitting on an island of algae or in the right area or if the line is wrapped up on itself. So a bit of time is used to make adjustments. Fortunately I stayed clear of most of the algae.

Btw I was just hooking up a crawler on a slip bobber. It seemed as tho I could entice the strike by tapping on the rod rather then just letting it sit there. Perhaps the vibration helped the fish find the bait. All in all it was a good outing and positive reinforcement to do it again.

JB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.