Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here been looking around for awhile and finally signed up. Trying to get into fishing more this year. I only can get out to fish during the days on the weekends ( I have more time now since we have sometime off from work since its slow) but have a lot of time to kill at night time. Wanted to no where everyone fishes at night time. Was looking around theses areas kinda gives you a idea: North - Palatine, South - Tinley Park, East - Lake Michigan, West- Naperville if you make that a radius that's where I'm looking. I would like to say please do post anywhere outside of that because I am looking for places to camp and night fish but not as often as locations in that radius. For the further locations looking around the 1-2hr drive from downtown Chicago somewhere to bring the dog would be nice too for a weekend.

Well to get back on to night fishing please include: Location (if you can add where to park and maybe how to get to the location from there), what fishing times ( example get there around 8PM leave 12AM), what species are you or should you target at that location, your favorite bait to use at that time, also if you Boat or Shore fishing I am looking for Shore fishing only at this time don't own a boat but this post could help a lot of other members too. Also how safe is it to fish at those spots ( Police nearby or Police kick you out, bums, other people fish there often, and what ever else you can think of. I might of missed some things but add anything I might of missed. I no there's some people that wont give up there hot spots but please give some info.

Just looking for some nice Night time hot spots to fish, and not to worry about your car getting towed or broken into etc. Hopefully we can make this a few pages and could help a lot of us.

Fishing Times:
Species:
Bait:
Boat/Shore:
Location Safe:

Let see some pics of your Night time fish you landed as well

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Fox River in Elgin... Fish the dam or try by the boat. On the north of it for some Walleyes. A simple Jig and Minnow will do it. Lots of snags though. Some Bums will be in the area. Carry a Knife... You never know what can happen. I always carry a knife ;) Mostly for cutting braided line though... :lol: You can not camp out here, by I am sure your dog will be fine here. People do walk by alot. so if he can get agressive... just a little heads up. There is as well smallies, catfish, sheephead, carp and a few other species in these areas. This is just somewhere to get started as I have caught walleyes here as well as smallies and cats. Hope it helps a bit

That's as much info I can give ya. I have a hard time even telling some of my best friends where some of my night time areas are... Actually 2 of my friends have been bugging me for the last 4-5 years where I catch some of my fish... I still will not tell them to this day... :lol:

Hope you understand. but if you are targeting a certian species on a body of water, we can definately put you in the right direction on what bait you can use and how you can present your bait.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Yea not sure if I'd bring the dog just for Elgin maybe for the 1st time to check out the area I have a American Pitbull so no problem there. She is trained and will not start anything unless someone gets to close without me telling her its OK its a friend. Anyways back to the fishing yea I carry a knife have a few in my bag.

I understand you have very personally hot areas that you don't want to give up and I don't blame you so its cool no harm there.

I would love to catch Walleye so that information does help they would be the main species and Northern not to sure how active Pike are at night only caught 1 or 2 around 8-9PM up in Wisconsin one time. Would also like to get some Large mouth and small, catfish, carp pretty much anything that's going to be feeding at night.

Never caught a Walleye yet. What kinda of Jig ( color) what size minnows. DO you use bobbers.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Color of jig may Vary. I like orange or yellow for walleye, along with as well. I would use big fathead minnows if you went to live bait. For crawlers, I would use a lindy rig with a bottom bouncer. Hope this helps a bit

BTW, You may be able to ask Nselle (Nick) a few questions , he picked up a couple walleyes this morning over 20 inches ;)

I knew I shouldn't have stayed out late... I woke up in the late morning :oops:

BTW, I have used bobbers for walleyes, but mostly only up in MN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.