Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Night fishing: What's the Deal?

9K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Islandfisher 
#1 ·
I was wondering what all of you guys know about night fishing. I've have only done serious night fishing when in Canada when we would fish every minute of everyday just because it was so damn expensive. On nights when the moon was out we would slowly troll different rapalas or cast spoons.

The question however is about shore fishing in NW chicago not boat fishing in Ontario.

Has anyone tried it around here? If so what worked?

- Sean

#5 ·
I know some guys who go bass fishing at night. All of them use topwaters. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to get a hit on a topwater at night. I still have yet to try NSC... This weekend looks great, especially Saturday, and I want to get out at least one more time before it get too cold.

#7 ·
I fished the NSC near Howard last night from 6:30-8:30 but sadly got the skunk. It was overcast with the temps in the forties. I spent the first half hour casting and very slowly retrieving a topwater lure. The rest of the time I used fatheads on glow jigs. I spent a lot of time retying jigheads because of snags (this took a little extra time in the dark. :x )

The only excitement came when my friend caught a small cat fish. The little cat had some fight in him which made us think bass for a split second.

All in all it was a good time.

By the way; I don't catch many catfish. Is it true that certain catfish can sting you?

#14 ·
Catfish and Bullheads have boney spines on their dorsal and pectoral fins. It is misconceived that it is the barbels (whiskers) that sting. From what I heard it is similiar to a bee sting.
This is used for defense mainly when a predator is trying to eat them. The spines when extended make it hard or almost impossible for the predator to fit the fish in its mouth.
When the fish gets older the spines dull. So basicially the little guys are the main concern. Although I would still be careful anyway.
My buddy got stuck last year in wisco. and he bled like a pig, it was kinda funny.

#15 ·
MrB said:
Catfish and Bullheads have boney spines on their dorsal and pectoral fins. It is misconceived that it is the barbels (whiskers) that sting. From what I heard it is similiar to a bee sting.
My buddy got stuck last year in wisco. and he bled like a pig, it was kinda funny.
Been stuck before also, they are sharp.
Older ones are bigger but a little less sharp, both still hurt..

Years ago I saw a Dan Gapen video
and he showed his way of grabbing cats.

From the belly, (using the right hand), you put your thumb under the left barb, and index & middle fingers surrounding the other barb.

Slightly squeezing the cat, no way he can get loose,
and you can't get poked.
Plus upsidedown eases the fish a little for hook release.

When I did get jabbed it was reaching for the fish in a net.
Handling them with this grip, I never get poked anymore..

:D

Nightfishing for cats is a blast..
Listen for the bell ringing, and you know ones hooked...

#16 ·
Just started night fishing for cats around this time last year. It's a lot of fun! I was tired of catching tiny bass or no bass at all so I bought some catfish stuff. It is so awesome seeing your bell ringing or fishing with a rod with a glow in the dark tip. Hands down, one of the best fighting fish ever. I remember getting like an 8 pounder last year and it took me at least 5 minutes to get it in.

#18 ·
For bass at night I prefer buzzbaits although some lakes just don't put em out after dark for some reason. For those lakes I like working senkos really slow in the weeds. If the lake is really tough, I will go to a small bait hook, bull shot, and leech and work drop-offs and off-shore humps. If you want to tangle with some of the biggest, meanest bass in the lake during the Summer, I would give the last recommendation a try. I got this grouper.... I mean nighttime smallie with this method this July.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.