Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The East winds have brought in the warm water along with a very large population of bait and coho. We were fortunate enough with the weather to do what we could to "Thin the herd" :mrgreen:
We took off at noon on Friday and I was unaware of the fact that I was "On the clock" :shock: . As soon as I had the first rod in I heard, "It took 57 seconds". That was the time it took for us to get our first hit. It was a beautiful day and I think at one point I had 9 or so rods in the water, that was the most I could put out. We were back at the dock in 2 hours with our 7 man limit (I`m making my neighbors really happy).I think we may have had a statistician on board `cause he kept a tally of the whole trip: 48 fish on, 35 landed, 11 missed hits, and 2 we had to shake off at the end.

For Saturday morning it was the same story, tons of Coho looking for breakfast. I never had a chance to get the boards out on both sides of the boat. I had a bunch of guys that were headin` to Fremont after the trip to do some Fishing on their own, I told them I should leave a few coho whole, and tell the locals they caught them there 8)

The afternoon trip had a little more wind than the morning but the Lake was still very cooperative, especially when it came to hungry, active fish. I had a returning group from last year :wink: , and they far surpassed last years catch. I guess it`s all in the timing :roll: . As with the prior trips we were back in a couple hours. As for the different angle of the pic, I had a shift cable go out and I had to nose it into the slip, it was a little hectic trying to figure out what was needed to get the boat seaworthy for the next morning. I want to thank Capt. "Tiger" of "Tigger II" Charters out of Algoma for giving me a hand, we had that cable swapped out so fast we made a Nascar pit crew look like "Backyard Mechanics" :wink:

On Sunday morning I think at one time we ran nine rods. The 25` dipseys with a "Sigg`s Rigs" coho candy in Aqua was a stud. It had to account for at about 1/3rd of the hits. I put one of his "Mardi Gras" flies out on a board and it too produced. I slid out to the deeper water to see how far the band of fish went, and found the best level to still be in the 20`-30` range.

On Sunday afternoon I had another great bunch of kids, this time from a Boy Scout troop. The winds were still blowing out of the East and we had some decent rollers. I was hoping the action would keep them occupied to avoid the "Lake Michigan flu" from taking hold, and all made it but one. As it was he turned out to be a trooper and still caught his share of fish. We did have a nice "Steelie" rip a board across the water like a jet ski, only to have it spit the hook just as I was about to dip the net, it looked to be around 10 lbs. :cry:
They took the fish over to the fish cleaning house so the boys could experience all the aspects of fishing, I`m sure they got enough practice :wink: . It was good to see that, getting them involved with a great sport that they`ll enjoy for the rest of their lives.

As far as an over all synopsis, or to just come out and be blunt about it, right now there are masses of Coho in the shallow water out of North Point between 20`-40`. They are hungry, and very active. It appears they fed well over the winter as well, all the fish we caught were in the 3-5 lb. range. It won`t take you a ton of gear or a big boat. And as quickly as they showed up they can move out. Call in sick, take a leave of absence, car trouble, whatever it takes :wink: .
I`m just hoping they stick around for a while, let`s say... mid July, when the Kings start showing up :mrgreen:

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.