Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After quite a few attempts to get out were upset by mother natures` winds we finally made it.
On Monday we set up at 42° 28` in 80` and had a few quick hits right away, unfortunately they never made it to the net. I kept it pointed South and took it all the way to 42° 26` with a few pokes, and only a small brown that I released for our effort. I turned it back in the 90`s,and with a real strong push on the surface to the North (1.5 kts. GPS was 2.3 mph at the ball) it wasn`t long before we were back to where we started. Once there we had more hits and started putting fish in the box. The best action was right on the line between 80` and 95` with the `riggers down 40`-70` and # 2 wire dipseys 120` & 150`. The smaller Stinger spoons were the ticket with the "Green Dolphin", "Kevorkian", "Bloody Nose" and "Natural Born Killer" leading the way on the lead and `riggers. I never had a "Hot" bait, but they definitely wanted a small presentation, I took a 10 # king on the Stinger "Scorpion" size Kevorkian as well. The dipseys had a ton of short hits and only accounted for a couple of fish that actually stayed hooked. There were clouds of bait on the screen from the bottom all the way up to 30`. At times the screen was solid for a good 15-20 seconds, and my `rigger cables were shaking as we went through. We ended up with 11 kings and 2 browns,someone (who shall remain nameless) forgot his camera.
On Tuesday after having all my action right on the line Monday, and hearing reports of more fish on the North side of the fence, fished Wisconsin. We had our first one on as I was setting lines in 80` 1/2 mile North. It took a Moonshine glow spoon down 65`. The # 2 wire dipseys with a white Hot Spot green flie/ white double glow Spin Dr. Aqua flie 140` and 180` back took a few pokes early and then were dead for the rest of the day. The `riggers were down 40`-70`and the lead was out 10 colors. I took it 3 miles North and lost my action, once again it was back towards the line. The bait was very abundant and the small spoon presentation was decent, but I threw out a few magnums that were good earlier in the month and they too took fish. The Pro King double crush glow, Silver Streak "Hot Lobster", "Purple Fire Tiger", and "Smurf" all came into play. The only dodger fly combo I had working was a Chrome plastic with a white flie. We would go for a while and then have a double, then another dry spell and a couple would go off in quick succession. It appears they were still scattered into small schools, probably due to the inconsistent winds we`ve had the last few weeks. The fish were after a faster presentation, at one time I was at 3.6 kts. on the GPS showing 3.0 MPH at the ball. We had to work for it, but ended up with our 4 man limit, all kings.

Hopefully this wind will die down and we`ll have some more decent weather to get out, the fish and bait are there .

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Nice fish! Does the shore run effect the the fishing off-shore much?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I could be wrong and I'm sure captain Jim will help out with some more info regarding yoiur question but I would say just one of the big difference's is you can eat the fish you catch on his boat. I wouldn't eat anything caught from shore at this point. Out last week and the fish have turned pretty dark which means the meat is fouled. That and fishing from shore this time of year turns into a fight for real estate. I'd say if you want to have a good time and not worry about having some idiot crossing your line and becoming beligerent go out on the boat :D All my bass buddies have been taking their boats to shoreline areas and harbors have been killing the spawning kings but for ones with fresh meat you still need to get out where Lucky Dog takes ya. :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JasonN,

jnapodano is right, the majority of the fish (Kings) you`re gonna` catch in the harbors are the 4 yr. olds that are nearing the end of their life span, and yes the meat is getting soft. Browns are a different story.
The occasional 4 yr. old straggler caught out in the deeper water may still be good eating, it`s up to their individual biological clock to tell them when it`s time to return to the rivers or harbors. We`re catching the younger 2 and 3 yr. old fish out on the Lake right now, which are great to eat.

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts