Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 6 thru 11, 2007

Last week I was up north again. I have come to the conclusion that I am a northwoods whore as I will probably be up there one last time next week, just a week before the junior season of college starts. Probably just go there to chillax, enjoy the woods, and just work on the house with grandpa.

Anyways, the fishing this week was not so good to me. I don't know if I was just lazy or starting to get burned out with the fishing, cause it can happen, but the fishing was not so great. Tried for the Muskellunge for 3-4hrs for about 4 days. Saw a couple of fish near boat but my guess is that they were out deep. Water temps were in the mid-70's. Then mid-way through the week, a fishing buddy of mine and my friends was murdered along with his parents in Pennsylvania.,. So that right there was as shitty as it can get - never found out until I got home on Saturday. And finally, again on the same morning the fishing buddy was murdered (Weds. the 8th), the boat motor coincidentally died on my dad and I while fishing on Big Arb. Because of the motor, I was screwed for the remainder of the week, and possibly am until October. Thought the problem was fouled spark plugs so we replaced those. That wasn't it. The thing would start up but after 5-seconds, it just dies, no matter what gear you get it in... Either a bad carb, filter, or damaged fuel line.... That's my guess. It's going to get fixed next week.

I fished a total of 4 lakes and 1 river. Big Arb (muskies), Clear (Smallies), 100 acre secret lake, and my little backyard lake. The river I fished was the Wisconsin River. I got skunked ont he river for the first time ever, but found a few spots to try in the future.

Many of the lakes in the area are terribly low. Fished on Clear Lake one afternoon and got blown off of it - first time ever I caught zero keeper Bass over 14" from there too. Lots of shoreline structure is gone now as laydowns are no longer in the water. Also, I made a few trips past the Rainbow Flowage and it is at least 10-15ft below normal pool. The north end boat landing by HWY. J. isn't even close to being in the water anymore.

Besides terrible fishing for me, some pretty large Bluegills kept me happy, as did the reliable backyard Bass.

Somewhere over the Rainbow...

When I didn't go fishing, I simply enjoyed the scenery, hung out with the family, did some heavy reading on a few northern Wisconsin fishing guide books I picked up, and did some exploring for boat landings on lakes I had never fished before - found seven new lakes to try in the future. Doing the driving and exploring for access was fun and I hope to do it again maybe next week if I go.

That's about it for this latest segment of my northwoods fishing adventures.

Questions, just ask.

thanks.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
So sorry to hear about your friend Andrew. I heard about that in the news. Also sorry to hear about your motor. The fishing probably was off due to the warm weather. Atleast you got away.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sorry about the horrible news Andrew.

I hope you can get your motor up and running before next season. And wow that first gill is huge!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I'll be taking the motor into the shop either later this week, or next week if I don't head north again. I'm hoping it can get done by my guy down in Morris IL, by mid-September.

It's a sad story of what happened. My buddies and I made this memorial for him. I'm sure he likes it from up there... http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/mikecolegrove.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good lord man, I am sorry for your loss.

By whatever eerie concidence, Laceyville is right where a good friend of mine's cabin is - we've fished all over on the river and lakes up that way. It definitely was very shocking news.

Again, very sad news and my thoughts go out to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.