Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 23-26, 2007

The plan was to fish Monday thru Friday but with the ridiculous hot weather, my grandpa and I cut the week of fishing short by a day, so we came home early.

Throughout the week, it was barely windy every day, it was sunny every day and almost cloudless, and each day was pushing hot and humid at 85-90degs. My only times for fishing came either in early mornings from 6-10am, and again in evenings from 6-10pm. I did fish once mid-day and I'm paying for my sins with a burnt back.

Four lakes and one river were fished, the largest lake I fished this time was 260 acres, and was somewhat of a wilderness lake in Vilas co. This was my first visit here and I will have to make another trip soon. Two other lakes were near the house and both were about 100-acres. We also tried launching out on Little Spider but the south-end landing appeared too rough for the front-wheel drive station wagon - all rough sand and didn't feel too comfortable... I'll have to give it a try maybe next time with the stronger van.

The wilderness lake.

This sucked..

My main species of interest this time were Pike and Muskies, pike especially. The weather was too poor for either fishes, but water temps were decent enough everywhere the boat was at, coming in at 74-80degs.

Really no action at all was coming from the Pike.

My little lake was alright in the evenings if I wasn't out on some other lakes. Caught a few of the usual Bass and I had the pleasure of finding a few nice suspended Crappies.

Over the last two days, Wednesday and early Thursday, Muskies got me going. For about an hour on Wednesday morning and then again in the evening from 6-10pm, I was working a 100acre lake that's about 5-mins from the house. This place I think is very unknown for the Muskies and not too many people fish it, so I'll have to keep quiet about it.

Here, I had 4 fish throughout the day come to the boat or trail my baits by 15ft, or surface right in front of me. The largest was about 40". I think the fishes here were really stubborn and lazy. I was mainly working anything that resembled cisco forage because the lake is deep and is home to ciscoes. White & silver bucktails, Llungen tails, Magnum jointed Rapala X-raps, etc, etc. In the evening, I worked surface topwaters and had a good fish checking out the Smity Sputter Bug but he wasn't interested.

This little Musky outing was fun and I wouldn't say it was a waste of time. I got a lake 5-mins from the house and it's got Muskies. Sweet! I'll be back here again very soon.

The again on yesterday morning, I made a 3-hour wade on the Wisconsin River. I really caught nothing except for a few agressive Smallies that decided to take 5-inch swimbaits. I did however lose an approximately 40-inch Musky on a black mepps musky killer. I had the fish on my bass spinnerbait and lighter casting rod earlier in the outing as it was hooked for about 5-secs and surfaced, and on my way back I'm pretty sure I picked up the same fish. I didn't have the Musky stick on me, so instead I had the fish hooked on my smaller Pike stick, a 6.5ft med. heavy rod w/ 30lb power pro. I had the fish on for about a minute, and roughly 10feet from me, the fish starts thrashing and surfaces. It made a few rolls and it came unhooked. It never ran, and besides the head-shakes, I'd say it was all under control.

That was a dissapointment but was fun to experience. Had I played it better, there would be a Musky photo right here.

That's basically how the trip went. I had my opportunities with a few Muskies which was rather fun and exciting. The Pike fishing sucked which was bad because I had high hopes for them. Although I didn't try much for Bass, I still caught a few and found some nice Crappies. I didn't try any walleye fishing and nor did I fish any of my Smallie lakes, which was surprising.

I have anywhere from 5-10 days of fishing left for the north before school starts again. Gotta' make the most of it and make up for this trip.

One other thing....

On the evening before I left, I made a quick evening/night-time wade on the local backyard river. I caught two Walleyes. The monster of the season so far at 25", and its companion, a 19-inch male.

andrew

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice trip. Love the little lakes. Nice boat too. Those unimproved launches can be tough. I have hooked a tow strap from the hitch to the tounge and eased the trailer back while someone else guided the tounge to keep it straight. Then pulled it out the same way. I gotta 2wd truck so i gotta improvise for a lot of things like that. :wink: Gotta keep the rear wheels on dry solid land. 8)

·
Registered
702 Posts
What I've done with a smaller, aluminum boat like that, is to remove the trailer from the car, roll it into the water a bit, and lift the tongue while pushing the boat off, being careful of the motor of course. that way you can get into almost any lake regardless of the launch conditions. Reloading is even easier, just tip the trailer up until the rummers are in contact with the boat, start cranking with the tongue way up and the boat slips on real easy. A little finess is all that's really needed and you have no prob's.

Where we have gone in Burnet County there is a tremedous muskie/pike 300+ acre lake with a launch that is only accessible by doing this, or backing out into the water like 20' or so, seriously, it sucks, but it is what keeps the big bassmaster boat guys away and the lake so awesome! Gotta love the little aluminum boats! They go everywhere!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! It really is a luxury to be able to launch out on the smaller lakes with somewhat unimproved landings - the places big boats have no chance at.

This boat is alright for the smaller 100-500 acre lakes. My only issue with it is that on any bigger lakes and with the wind, I hate fishing out of this thing but it's the best I've got. I'd take fishing in this boat any day over going out of my dad's speedboat. It's small and tight, but works! :D

I'm hoping to get either a 16-17-footer sometime soon. Just too bad I'm a poor college kid. hahahaha. I would never sell this boat though! I didn't even buy it nor its goods!!

Topwater said:
What I've done with a smaller, aluminum boat like that, is to remove the trailer from the car, roll it into the water a bit, and lift the tongue while pushing the boat off, being careful of the motor of course. that way you can get into almost any lake regardless of the launch conditions. Reloading is even easier, just tip the trailer up until the rummers are in contact with the boat, start cranking with the tongue way up and the boat slips on real easy. A little finess is all that's really needed and you have no prob's.
That is an excellent idea!!! Never thought of that.

One problem though: My trailer doesn't have any tongue that can lift. Just a bed & rollers that stay permanent for the boat to rest on.

How far into the water do you generally push the trailer into without having any problems pulling it up? That would be the tricky part for me.

I'm sure that pulling up the boat and trailer from the water would be much harder than sliding it in.... :? My fear is getting it stuck that way too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No tongue that can lift? You know, the part that attaches to the ball on your car. (You actually do the lifting! It's a bit of a grunt but should be easy enough if your trailer/boat weight is balanced. No, you don't really push it into the water very far at all, in fact when you're done you should have the trailer wheels basically at or near the waters edge, then you can just hook up and drive off. My trailer has permanent/stationary runners/bed, no rollers. With a boat that light you really don't need them to do this.

So, just back up as usual, get the trailer wheels maybe a foot or two in the water (or just do it on the gravel/sand), unhook the boat from the winch, push it down the runners a bit (with the motor up :D ), then unhook the trailer from the ball, push the trailer a few feet away from the car (just in case!), lift the trailer front/tongue and push on the boat. The weight will shift the boat to where the trailer wheels act as a pivot, at that point you drop the transom onto the ground and start working the trailer out from under the boat being careful to not let the bow drop or the trailer lift out of your reach. It's a bit tricky, but if you're careful (and a young buck!) you should be able to do it easily. Only thing to watch for are your wood runners, if your boat is weighted down with gear it can bend them and possibly break them. But, I have a 15.5' deep 'v' old (1955) alumacraft that is a tank and I've done this by myself without breaks or problems.

Reloading is super easy, actually less work that getting the boat off. When you attach the winch and start cranking the tongue of the trailer will lift off the ground, this is where you need to control it and keep the trailer straight and let the tongue go up so the boat slips on easily, don't worry, once the boat is on the trailer far enough the weight will balance and the tongue will start to come back down. The thing is you can do this on dry land, I do it in my back yard when I need to work on the trailer. Just be sure you are able to pull the boat into or out of the water by hand. If you can do that then it doesn't really matter where you unload it as long as you can keep control of the trailer as it slips out from under the boat when off-loading! (actually, a sandy launch is even better cause it will forgive any mistakes you make a lot better than a cement launch!) You may get a little wet, but if you have rubber boots or waders then no problem. It's not that hard but you might want to give it a dry run first. I learned this from a guy at a marina in Webb Lake, WI when we bought our alumacraft. He loaded it onto our trailer this way, and unloaded our 12' this way. He actually does this with his 16' Lund! :shock:

Looking at your trailer pic, you might want to put foam rubber padding on the trailer frame where it comes to a V in the middle near the motor, that is likely where your boat would drop off and push up on as you try this technique. Also, is there any way to drop the height of your runners? In the pic they look like your boat is up a good distance from the trailer frame. If you can lower those (at least in the rear) that would help a lot.

Oh, did you mean you don't have a thingy on the tongue that swings up and down to roll the trailer around without being hooked up to a car? IF not you should still be able to do this, but rolling the boat on the trailer is more difficult. YOu might want to invest in that! But, seeing as it is a smaller boat, you're a strapping young man, and there should only be between 100-200lbs weight/pressure at the tongue fully loaded (for trailering safety!) anyway, you should be able to maneuver the boat and trailer by hand. But, one of those trailer jacks (I think that is what they are called) would help you a lot! Being able to do this tech opens up so many smaller Northwoods lakes that it is so much more valuable to me than a big and fancy bassboat IMHO.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Topwater said:
No tongue that can lift? You know, the part that attaches to the ball on your car.
AAAAHHHH!! I thought the tongue was the bed/ runners that can be lifted up and down - which I've seen on certain trailers. I became confused, but now I got it!!

Also, is there any way to drop the height of your runners? In the pic they look like your boat is up a good distance from the trailer frame. If you can lower those (at least in the rear) that would help a lot.
That's another good idea. I'll have to check and see because if I lowered the runners, I would be able to launch much easier on a few much-improved landings on lakes with low water levels. :D

Thanks for the advice sir! I will be putting it to use. :D

Thanks JD, thanks Augy. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.