Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps in the upper 80's, light west winds, mostly sunny, fished from 6:45pm-7:45pm.

Started by the Howard Street bridge and bicked up a 10" largemouth bass on a 4" gold Senko. Moved down to the west bank of the discharge and nothing. The bait fish in that area have simply exploded in population the past few years - the gizzard shad are EVERYWHERE and some are gigantic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Do you think the spawning carp might push some of the LM bass out of their normal territory or at least affect their behavior? I managed to snag into at least three carp today, all of which wiggled free.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not so sure the carp are still spawning. They ALWAYS cause a ruccus on the NSC - all times of the year. The giant goldfish are also always popping the surface. What I have noticed is that when lots of goldfish are present in a particular spot, the game fish seem to not be.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I've noticed the oppostie, Were I've seen a lot of Goldfish in a particular Spot I've pounded gamefish. The Carp Spawning does have an effect it pushes the bass into deeper water and there for makes them roam around and scatter finally stopping near sumberged structure, Or few times have seen them suspended in open water 2 feet from the surface. There are bass that still do hang around though. Near The foster spill way and any other spot with a water fall or discharge it isn't as big as an effect. But it's all about adjusting on the water.

George
Perch Guy
Chicago Illinois

<8><

1 - 4 of 4 Posts