Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps in the mid 20's; mostly cloudy; south winds 5mph. Fished from 3pm - 4pm.

The plan was to get some crappie by Outfall 105 (Howard Street bridge). Not one darned fish. This exact location was, for years, my "go to" spot for huge crappie and decent bass. But i've noticed it dwindling over the past year and a half so something must be up.

Then I headed over by the plant discharge and all that happened is the same thing that's happened the last few times out - snagging gizzard shad. This another location that used to be awesome. It still holds some bass and crappie, but that gizzard shad population is completely out of control. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are probably several thousand of these things stacked up at that discharge.

Total catch: 3 gizzard shad on Berkley Power Bait 3" worms and white twister tail jigs.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hey thanks for the report Jason. I originally found out about those spots on WCF and have had minimal luck there. There are tons of those white perch swimming around also. I bet pike and muskey would love to feast on some of those small guys; does anyone think they could survive there?

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing about the pike there, Sean. And i'm actually surprised that some more predator fish have not made it up that way. Perhaps the conditions are simply not good enough for their survival.

And... yeah... 1000 posts for me! However, as site admin i don't qualify for the prestige and status of being Ichthyoid Artimus. :(

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
JasonN said:
And... yeah... 1000 posts for me! However, as site admin i don't qualify for the prestige and status of being Ichthyoid Artimus. :(
Congrats Jay!

When Aris and I went to the NSC back between Christmas and New Years, every cast you could feel the lures hitting those shad. Thanks for the report.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
usually in the Winter i'll Catch The bass And Crappie Hugging the bottom right under the Shad. I Love the Ammount of Shad ! Although Once they get to big for eating size There just roaming... But The Bass And Crappie Are Holding there. Theres Hoiles in the Current, You find a Slight Break, And have enough weight to get down there, You could have a honey hole you wont want to let go.

There Really Easy to catch Jay, Next time Vary your Techniques and mindset going in.

I Wish I could go out, Last time I went was Like 2 Weeks Ago Fishing for carp and Landed a 13lb and a 8 lb Carp. Didn't have the camera on me, And When That happens I dont even bother to post a report. For all those nayy sayers.

George

:D

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what, George... you are absolutely right. Conditions have changed but I showed up only with the tackle that caught fish in past years. I think next time I will try adding some weight and working more slowly off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Perch guy said:
usually in the Winter i'll Catch The bass And Crappie Hugging the bottom right under the Shad. I Love the Ammount of Shad ! Although Once they get to big for eating size There just roaming... But The Bass And Crappie Are Holding there.
What do you use to target the bass in those conditions. I have fished the bottom there using fatheads and cralwers but those white perch seem to eat up the bait before the bass do. Tubes have worked for me in the past; what's your favorite George?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
At least u got out there Jay, I still want to try that area after werk one day, (I werk in Lincolnwood) maybe come spring I will meet up with some of you guys there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jay, I had the same problem with snaggin' shad fishing a crankbait over by a warm water discharge a month or two ago down here in central Illinois.

I heard from some guys that some warm water discharges or spill-ways will pour out... causing crap on the bottom of the lake to stir up drawing small fish like shad that come to feed on it. This is followed by some monster predator fish like muskie/pike coming by the spillway to feed on all the shad. Maybe there are some pike in there? lol Chicago river pike fishing anyone? quite possible, the Des Plaines has em' in there :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've heard about people catching pike in the chicago river, and ther are king salmon in there during the salmon run at the lakefront, because I have caught one.

Just work your lure on the bottom and the bass will eat it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.