Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend & I had planned to go to the BWCA this Fall. Considering our ages it's becoming less & less probable that we'll be able to do an extended trip with any portages.

But the gods of the outdoors were not in our favor. Fires & the resulting closure of the BWCA put the trip off for this year. So NW WI had to fill in. Not a bad substitute.

Last Sunday we drove - separate cars because he planned to go on to his brother's place north of Brainard MN after we were done - up to Beaver Lake in the Chequamegon Nat Forest. I'd done some research and it seemed to be a great spot for our planned base camp.

There are several other lakes in the area - each with its own, unique fish population. Also due to budget cuts the Forest Service has closed many of the campgrounds in the area so there's not much to choose from. We've camped on Mineral Lake in the past but its campground is among the closed. So we planned to take our canoes over there at least one of the days we were up there. That didn't work out. First, we really liked Beaver and second, the weather became uncooperative.

We fished all day Monday and both caught some respectable-sized LMBs. Beaver has LMBs and trout - surprisingly no pike or musky. Sunday evening and Monday morning I tried for trout with little spinners & spoons but after no takers I switched to targeting bass.

Monday night we got hit by a massive storm that dumped buckets of rain on us. Rained on & off on Tuesday until around 3:30. We spent the day sitting around camp talking about the old days, the new days and the in-between days. Funny how much there is to discuss when you're old farts who've known each other since before we can remember. I suspect it was fueled by his Canadian and my single malt. Then it cleared and we went out again and caught more bass. Absolutely beautiful evening.

Although we'd planned to hit Mineral to try for pike & musky on Wednesday when we got up my buddy said he wasn't feeling too motivated (this means lazy :) ) so we fished Beaver again. More decent bass.

Later in the afternoon I suggested we eat an early dinner and fish more before sunset. He agreed so that was the plan - what did Robbie Burns say about the best laid plans?

After dinner we loaded up. While climbing into my canoe I lost my balance, swamped it & got soaked. Took quite a while to bail it out so I could drag it up on the shore. I spread all the wet stuff out to dry - including most of my clothes. Funny thing is while we were eating dinner we'd been talking about how we're both losing our sense of balance as we aged.

After changing into dry clothes I fished a bit along the shore but got nothing. My buddy caught 2 more on the other side of the lake.

While sitting by the fire that night we were treated to the greatest sound of the north country. A pack of wolves started howling just after dark. Hard to believe this was the first time I've heard wolves. Absolutely thrilling. I told my buddy it was worth going in the drink just for that.

Later that night it stormed again so everything I put out to dry got even wetter. When I got up Thursday morning I fired up my car and listened to a local forecast. Thunderstorms and showers on & off all day. Clearing in the late afternoon followed by storms after midnight. I decided to pack it in & head home. No need for me to try recreating something out of Patrick McManus' A Fine and Pleasant Misery.

So all-in-all a great trip. Next year we'll try for the BWCA again.
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Afterglow
Water Boat Water resources Vehicle Sky
Water Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape

Reactions: ganz1960

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sounds nice despite the weather, a hint of fall in the leaves I see. The wolves howling is pretty cool! You get a new camera/camera phone? Those are some quality pics.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Beautiful area up there. Have you ever considered a trip to the Ely area and renting a cabin with a motor boat? You could still bring your canoe and fish out of it if you want to explore the area.

~JOE~

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike - Canon SX 50. Sold my DSLR a few years ago & got it before we went to Alaska. Nice camera.

Joe - never thought about it but good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice report and photos. With the wolves, the scenery, the adventure, even the rain…any fish are just a bonus. Seems like a great place and memorable trip.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What fish? I don't see any fish,and I got my new glasses on,I see a pile of wood,some water,a guy in a canoe, maybe the fish are too small for me to see.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's wrong salty? You forget what fat 12" bass look like?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks like you had a Awesome time good weather Beautiful scenery a good friend to share it with and lots of memories

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for sharing! The pictures remind me of my lone venture up to the BWCA a few years ago. Your account of all of the rain remind me even more! LOL!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to mention something I learned on the trip. I'm done buying lures. Counting the spoon & spinners I threw for trout I used 6 - 6! different lures. 3 were buzzbaits and I used 3 because the biggest bass I caught (around 13") totally trashed the skirt on 1.

I mean, what's the point?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Forgot to mention something I learned on the trip. I'm done buying lures. Counting the spoon & spinners I threw for trout I used 6 - 6! different lures. 3 were buzzbaits and I used 3 because the biggest bass I caught (around 13") totally trashed the skirt on 1.

I mean, what's the point?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point but I think I'd prefer to use them all up before I croak.

BTW - how you feeling?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Still haven't been out fishing, but I'm about ready. Told the Nephew we need to go, before I head back to work. He's gung-ho, so that's a good sign!
Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear it. Hope you & your nephew catch a bunch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts