Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking for input from you experienced Northwoods guys. I'm trying to arrange a trip up to the Spooner/Hayward area sometime in the fall, like late September or early October.

So, how late is too late? If I go in my target time slot, are the Northern and Musky gonna be active? How about the LMB? What lures, presentations would you suggest? Rain gear? Cold gear?

Any input from you seasoned Northwoods vets would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am not a northwoods vet, but I was up in Hayward last year during the exact same time period you are looking at. Although weather is never the same year to year we ended up getting rain on 4 out of 8 days. It was also a little cool most days although some days were quite warm. It could really be hit or miss on the weather. As for fishing we found the pike and walleye to be quite active. Bass seemed to be somewhat cooperative as well, but I didn't target them as much. The musky were less active than they are in early September, but I heard of some being caught. I didn't get one, but I tried. With the weather we have been having this year I would say the fish are going to be behind a few weeks in the normal routines so the chances are you could get into some active fish of the esox variety. Hope this helps a little. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
me and my father usely go up to Hayward every year in the frist week of October.and the weather is insane I remember in 2003 we were up there 4 a week and the 1st day it was 75-80 out and the next day was in the lower 50's.The weather can be really clear one day,the next 20mph winds and rain the next.So good luck i'd pack 4 every season for sure.but the 1st week of oct has been the best 4 us.any later than that u run the risk of fishing a lake that has turned over already.Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.