Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fun way to start the year in a new state, having moved here from Denver in Dec. 08. All fish were caught on custom flies, and released. Gotta love fishin the Tribs! THese are all caught between Jan 1 and March 30, 2009.

Spring Steelhead :

A Few Coho Salmon:

29" 15.6lbs

Random Coho

The Bad Boys ! :

33" 15lbs

36" 25.4lbs

I miss winter already !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not all of them :wink: A couple are fom Illinois, i'm sworn to secrecy as to where. THere are a bunch of tiny creeks that feed Lake Michigan all over. You don't need to go where the crowds are!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You have a major advantage- you know what you are doing :) I went up to the root by myself once and was just lost, I tried drifting a fly on my casting setup. :| Now I know to use a weight and bottom bounce it at least.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
jwcustomflies said:
Not all of them :wink: A couple are fom Illinois, i'm sworn to secrecy as to where.
Ah ha! I think I know where you were. Now I have to wait until the colder months to go and try this IL creeks!

Nice fish, all of them!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rootpro6 said:
mplant1 said:
Ah ha! I think I know where you were.
i know where
You know TWO of the places :)

Tell ya what, sneaking around the tiny feeder creeks when the main Tribs are blown out always works ! And of the 4 places like that i know of, i've only seen one or maybe two others fishing, and that covers a few miles of river. I'll never again hit the Root in Racine, its an obnoxious, crowded, retard circus! Far better fishing elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
jwcustomflies said:
I'll never again hit the Root in Racine, its an obnoxious, crowded, retard circus! Far better fishing elsewhere.
Depends on what stretches you hit. I've fished with in the zoo when i first started going to the root, but now i have a few spots that i have explored and caught fish and I have gone and had the whole place to myself. It's not that bad.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
that's awesome... I as well Tie my own flies. that Brown is a Beute! :mrgreen :D

Nice Fish!

especiacially like a true steelhead die hard, Nothing beats a fly rod and your own flies while fighting some chrome while that reel is dancing!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
JW
I think I will just keep training with the pro. The long rod is where it is at. Start small and work my way up. Jerking a fish with 15lb test is not my opinion of sport, it is the art of hooking and landing. I have never used more than 10lb. Biggest walleye I caught was on 4lb ultra light. I like to battle on equal ground with my prey.
Just my opinion and the way I like to fish.
LUV2FISH 8)

·
Registered
299 Posts
wow awesome post.. i picked up fly fishing sometime during college (maybe 4 or 5 years ago?).. but was only fishing for bass with poppers... i actually haven't thrown a fly in the longest time until yesterday.. got the skunk with poppers but picked up a few on my regular set ups.. anyways great pics!..

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I Love it! Chrome on the fly!!!!

I tye my own flies as well.

I am still stuck using my old system 2 flty reel. It is the 67 model size. time to upgrade. But I have not been chasing steel like I use to in the past when I started at about 8 years old with the fly rod.

Beautiful steelies and browns man!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.