Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at 8AM to find only several people fishing at the lake. It was cold, but the wind was down.

Started off on the NW side using two rigs - one with Gulp trout bait and the other with live worms. Caught a very, very short bass (see pic):

Headed to another spot on the SE side after a hour of slow fishing. As I casted my first line out and preparing the other rod, I noticed my line getting bit. After a quick hookset, I got myself the following trout:

Things slowed down and I caught the following fish (I was hoping you guys can tell me what this is). It was released.

I moved two more times after this and landed another trout before heading home.

Nothing impressive, but at least I got my trout for the week.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice fish man. It's kind of funny that you got such a mixed bag out of axehead, well done.

How big was that perch? Axehead might make a spot on my ice fishing list this winter. I didn't know they stocked perch: very cool.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys!

I figured it was a perch, but couldn't confirm as I have never caught one until that day. I can now cross that off my list. The perch was decent size for any fish out of that lake - about 9 inches.

All the trout were good-sized fish. Both came on Gulp's trout bait - the paste looking thing in Rainbow color.

I'm thinking of going out one last time on Sunday AM.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
I checked the stocking information back to 1995 and they have not done any perch stocking during that time. However, when I first fished Axehead about 10 years ago it was indeed considered one of the top perch lakes in the CCFPD. We did well with wax worms under bobbers casting the west drop-off.

Haven't done any perch fishing there in a while but do see them caught from time to time. That certainly is a nice perch you caught, Fishthoughts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.