Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was really hoping that this would be the "Check out my first bass of 2008" post, but that just didn't happen.

Fished Islandfisher's spot there just north of Howard from about noon-2pm with a buddy. Only caught one fish - a gizzard shad about 8" - on an orange/yellow curly-tail jig. Thought it was one of those white perch at first and was pretty surprised when I pulled it in and saw what it was.

A couple other guys got there not too long after we did - 2 people was about right but let's just say with 5 people it began to get a little crowded down there so we called it a day a little earlier than we may have otherwise.

Well, anyway - nothing to brag about but I didn't get skunked, so I guess it's all good...

-Mike

BTW - If any of you guys are heading down there by yourselves you may want to take some ropes or climbing equipment or something - the mud going down that slope is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
The gizzard shad there are indeed HUGE, and all over.

During January and February i've had the best luck with crappie from this spot. There may be an occasional bass, but can be hard. March seems to be when they start to turn back on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Islandfisher said:
Wow, five guys is lot of people for that spot, thanks for the report.
Yeah, and why they felt compelled to fish right hip-to-hip beside us when there was another 30 feet of shoreline between me and the bridge, I don't know - but seeing as we weren't really catching anything anyway it wasn't really worth saying anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.