Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Foster dam area today from 4:30-6. Caught one LM bass around 10" on a 4" green curly tail and a couple of blue gills on a rooster tail. Very slow afternoon for this spot. Met up with edai2000; hope he had better luck.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Things were equally as slow up by Howard this evening as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a couple of nibbles while fishing with Fan at Foster, but no catch. About 15 minutes after he left though, I caught my first fish from the River! It was a 12-13" LM. I was psyched! It went after my 4" purple w/ black flaked senkos, texas style. After that, it was absolutely quiet. I changed to a spinnerbait, nothing. Then changed to a rooster tail (after hearing about all of Fan's success with it in that area), still nothing. I finally left at 7:30pm. I saw a guy catch a nice size 20"+ carp on the designated fishing area SW of the dam though. It took him a whole 5 min after hooking onto to get onto shore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks, you guys. I spooled a new set of line on my reel before yesterday's trip to the river and now it looks like I've fished a whole year with it already. In addition, with all the climbing and walking through mud puddles, I was smelling and looking pretty bad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, showering after a trip to the NSC is always a good idea :mrgreen: But the line discoloring shouldn't have any lasting effects. The next time you fish in cleaner waters, it'll come right off.

I sure hope the hot weather the next few days don't turn off the fish completely.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Augy said:
congrats eric. you'll start reeking like Fan and Jason in no time! :wink:
:shock: Hey! :evil: The first time I read that, Augy, I thought you wrote "reeling" instead of "reeking" and was trying to compliment Jason and me. I guess I'll just have to hope that you step into some major dog sh*t at Beck tomorrow morning in the dark :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
The success will come in this spot the more times you attempt to crack a few new secret gems.... A great spot for a varierty of species... After a good Rain and the river Gets up alittle.. Check the spot out with some Tube jigs or Vibrating Cranks !!

Good Luck..

You can go look at old post in the forum to see what worked for others aswell.

Good Luck

George

:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear from ya, George. Hope you can start hitting the river again soon; always enjoyed your reports.

·
Registered
93 Posts
perch guy good to see that your posting again i always like reading BravesFan and Perch guys reports on the NSC keep them coming guys
Question about the bridge just north of the foster dam, is that legal spot to fish any trouble if i tried it out?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey TSevs, if you're talking about the Foster Ave bridge over the NSC, I haven't had any problems there. But then again, I've only fished that spot a couple of times.

If you're talking about the west bank area with the partially submerged rocks that's just northeast of the foster dam, hehind the southeast corner of the athletic field, I'm pretty sure that spot is fine too. In fact, I ran into my first ever DNR (CCFP?) cop there a couple weeks ago. He stopped by to ask for my fishing license and was very polite about it. Also, I sometimes see chicago police slowly crusing by in their patrol cars. Even when they've stopped on the walkway by the fence (with the railing) and are just looking around, they've never given me any problems.

I guess the rule of thumb is to keep a low profile (i.e., don't throw beer bottles in the river or holler really loudly) and you should be OK fishing this area. Good luck :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah i fished there once under that bridge there don't know what street it was i'm guessing foster? just wanted to know if i would get in trouble if i fished it again anyway a boat came flying by and stop to test the water i'm guessing they worked for the city
i guess the city doesn't mind much bc there was a sleeping bag up top of the area and it look as if it had been there for awhile so if they aren't kicking bums out why would they kick fisherman out
anyway i always pick up after myself i want to keep the fishing areas we do have
thanks for the info braves fan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem. Yep, if you go north from the foster area dam, then the first bridge you hit is Foster Ave. Last time I was there (last fall) I remember seeing a yellow inflatable raft that's been deflated on the west bank under that bridge. Also, it's too bad that not even city workers take care not to create huge wakes when they go down the river by boat. Do watch out for boaters there, and head for higher ground when they come by! ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
The Foster bridge is a very good spot... Always an abundant amount of panfish along the walls of the bridge. There are about 3-4 Shopping carts thrown in and Fish Always Scavange for food around it.. Also a very good spot for mirror carp if your a multi species fisherman. The spot under the bridge is very good all year including Dead winter. Right next to the Water Reclamation Netting with the Yellow floats around it on the Left side is the spot. 2 1/2 ft. deep next to the wall slowly dopping to a solid 6.8 Ft. Deep. Crappie also are abundant in spring and fall.

Good luck !

George
Perch Guy
Chicago Il.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I've heard but dont have specific data on it... Just a pretty good resource, A Guy on Mayor Dailys Fishing CommitteeThe river itself is Owned by the Water Reclamation... (metropolatin water reclamtation) They drive the boats around cleaning the river of debry... and as you mentioned above under the bridge taking out water samples etc. in the medal poles. They also drive suvs around the north branch area aswell as other brabches i'm sure. Not positive if there able to actually do so ... but I've been checked for my licsence several times by a metropolitan officer. They've kicked me out once under the foster bridge, but after realizing what they actually own and what the park district owns.. its been a hassle to get me out of there... usually a little talk and they leave. It is tresspassing in a lot of local good fishing spots.. From the chicago park district.. But if they see your just minding your own bussiness.. they usually leave you alone.

P.S.

Not calling anyone out but please keep your waters clean.... Clean up after your self.. Respect your surroundings its apart of being a responsible fisherman.

Tight Lines

George
Perch Guy
Chicago Il.

·
Registered
93 Posts
And yes perch guy i do clean up after myself i'm not someone who throws crap in the water or anywhere around i put my stuff in my bag then when i see the garbage bin i throw it away
Just to make it clear bc i know everyone including myself wants our waters to stay clean and not ruin by some J-O who doesn't clean up his mess everytime i bring up fishing spots someone brings this issue up its a good thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts