Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out at OCC for a few hours cause the wife went to WI with the kids so I was bored out of my mind. Only caught 1 warmouth, not a bite from anything else.

Decided to head over by the wall when I saw a group of 4 people show up with a cooler. I was like OH No I can see it coming. Then the one guy pulled in a small crappie, only about 6" from what I saw. But I was thinking, well thats only 1 I can oversee that. But then one of the others pulled in a tiny bass, and the old guy said "Keep him, I can filet him to." It was only about 8". Pissed me off so I called the Des Plaines PD who were more than happy to come out. Although they were a bit unsure of who's jurisdiction it was, DNR or theres. When he approached them(Drove his squad right on the sidewalk!) They told him they only had a few gills as he checked there cooler, which I new was a LIE, but I dont think the officer new what fish they actually were. They might have thrown the bass back when they saw him pull up, but I doubt it. They all had licenses and the officer was pretty sure it was a catch and release lake, but was unsure. So to be positive he put in a call to DNR(and a search on google) to find out if it was catch and release and the size limits and how to identify the fish. Officer was a really cool guy and the Des Plaines PD takes this pretty serious. He even said that the old guy was a jerk, so im sure things didnt go well for them. Even said the one guy brought his girlfriend there for her birthday.. I thanked him for his help, and just told him idiots like that make us all look bad, and I apologize if nothing comes out of it. He said "Thanks and Dont worry about it, thats what we are here for."

Sucks though, cause I drove the wrangler there and hung around for the police to get there and I just hope they don't recognize me again if I fish there.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Good job for calling the cops. I don't know for sure if OCC is catch and release or not, but they should not have been keeping those small bass that is for sure.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Way to go Dan! Very cool how you handled the situation and props to the cops.

You get the WCF Good Humanitarian Award for July 2007, Danno.

that would be the WCF "Lady Byng" trophy!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well when I walked by them, I said Hi, but the guy seemed like a real jerk so I just kept going and made the call. Why confront them, let the guys with the guns do it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Police didn't know either what the laws were, they didn't know who's jurisdiction it was either. But, I must commend them for there taking care of that in light of everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very good!!! i must say i fish there now just bout every other day or night and i see people with buckets keeping bluegills just never thought to calling the cops. esp if they took an undersized bass that could get bigger. lets keep the big ones in there. thats where ive caught my biggest bass 20+ 3 to 4 pounder and god it was amazing. the only bad thing bout that lake is there is a bad tree or boulder that i keep snagging all my stuff on and loosing them but oh well. but awsome job!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yesterday I talked to an older guy who likes to sit and chill by the pond as the sunsets. He told me that he sees people take fish out of there all the time. That's really too bad :( .

BTW forsure85, I think I ran into you there yesterday. I was the fool with the Cubs hat that wasn't catching anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.