Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the OCC lake from 5:50pm-7:30pm; mostly sunny; temps in the 70's; NE winds 5mph/diminishing.

Used one lure for the whole outing - the same bluegill Rattlin' Rapala I used last night. Got a total of 7 largemouth bass. Three dinks, one 13", two 15", one 18". All were caught casting parallel to the shoreline.

After a brutal few weeks of fishing is was great to get on some nice fish!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Good job Jay. Glad to hear you had another good outing! After hearing all the good reports the last few days from OCC, I was this close to going there tonight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry if I'm off the topic with my question but does anyone know if OCC Pond is connected with Des Plaines River or is there a stocking program for the pond? For a small pond there's seems to be a great variety of fish: perch,crappie,LMB, bullheads, pike (!), sunfish/bluegills, carp (saw a dead 3 ponder) and some fish that looks like shad (today I fished there for the first time and we caught 6 bluegills, 1 green sunfish, 1 perch, 7 bullhead catfish, 1 dinky LMB caught and 2 lost during retrieval)... Interesting little pond, seems like it has more bass of bigger variety then Axehead.

Thanks in advance!

Perch pic.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys! I'll tell ya... after 6 weeks of dinks at Belleau and skunks elsewhere, it was a great time. All the fish hit, ran, and danced on the water - classic bass fights. That 18 incher really gave me battle. I casted the lure right up against the shore and she hit almost immediately. She dug in, ran, then flew through the air... f**king awesome! And during the whole fight I was battling the damed mosquitoes!

After landing her and taking the pic, headed out with my head high and some good ole "bass thumb".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you got to share in the fun. That 18 incher is purty! They've all been so nice and healthy too...big full bellies. Great weekend of fishing...PK and I are hitting Deep Lake this morning (I should get to bed since it's 1:30 and I have to be at PK's house at 5:30!). Hopefully the same will be true out there. We'll let ya know!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice fish Jason.

Just to clarify, when you guys say "OCC" you mean Oakton Community College, right? Sort of near Beck/Big Bend Lakes?

I'm thinking of renting a car next weekend and doing some fishing, maybe I'll give that a shot. Haven't been out in ages and need to get some practice in for an upcoming trip back east at the end of the month.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leon... I believe the lake there is indeed connected directly to the DesPlaines River. I don't know if it is always connected, or just during times of high water though. Not sure about stocking either but o'm going to try and find out.

mpi100 - it is Oakton College.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The OCC pond is not connected to the Des Plaines River. In the past when the river has overflown, it has pushed some fish into the pond. I don't think that the recent flooding was deep enough to cause that to happen though. I may be wrong, but I think that the last time it happened was the last time the river overflowed a few years ago.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you also have to take into account the natural stocking of fish... say geese or ducks land in lake geneva, they're cruising the shore eating small fish, algae, plants etc. they happen to swim through a bunch of bass, perch, pike, whatever eggs and get them all over their feet. well they decide to pack it in and when theyre flying they see the OCC pond and say hey, im thirsty or i need to take a dip and land in it, depositing the eggs into the water there. they then hatch (maybe not a lot, but im sure a few survive) and the fish grow up in there without problem as they've been in there since hatchling fingerlings and know what they need to eat or avoid to survive...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.