Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a facilities staff member at Oakton College in Des Plaines. The 16 acre campus lake is indeed connected directly to the Des Plaines River via an 8" pipe. During low water levels the pipe will not be covered and thus no flowing water. But at normal - high water levels the flow is generally constant. All the fish in the lake are from the river - no stocking has ever taken place.

Another interesting fact is that there is technically no fishing allowed. He mentioned signs, but I don't recall seeing any. They are however aware of the fishing and, well i'll just leave it it that.

Finally some answers about this little gold mine. However, being that it is on private property and the technicality of no fishing allowed, any future reports will indeed be surreptitiously posted in the "Private Waters" forum.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Thanks for the info Jay. I always thought that fishing there was a gray area at best. That is why I was one that thought it shouldn't have it's own site listed on the forum. From now on I say that we just call it "The Pond." :wink:

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good question. The Des Plaines river certainly holds some nice fish. I know that the western and southern suburbs of the river get most of the fishing attention. But there are several access points from Devon all the way up through the northern suburbs.

I'm also curious how often adult fish actually travel the 100 or so yards through an 8" pipe to get back and forth between the OCC lake and the river.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What brand do you use Doc? Whenever I use the repellent, I don't see any difference. I soaked myself this past friday with repellent and got bit none the less. Even through my shirt (which i sprayed). :cry: Oh well, it's getting cold soon and they will disappear for 9 months.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm also curious how often adult fish actually travel the 100 or so yards through an 8" pipe to get back and forth between the OCC lake and the river.
Did ya ever see Shawshank Redemption!!!! 100 yards is child's play....

Hell I'd swim a 100 yards to get out of the DesPlaines too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting about the OCC...I have never seen a "No Fishing" sign anywhere. I have seen "No Boating or Winter Activities" but never a "No Fishing" sign...I've talked to the security guards while I was fishing before and never had a problem. It's good to know though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jason, thank you very much for finding and posting that information. I was pretty certain that it's connected to the river (not many lakes are stocked with perch) but I was also pretty sure that there's a some sort of stocking program (there's a tiny pond in Elmhurst, near but not connected to Salt Creek, that has a pike population).

P.S. As far as insect repellent - I used OFF DEEP WOODS (http://www.offprotects.com/insect-bites/), it helps but doesn't always works as well as I would like it to ( it held up very well against mosquitoes at OCC and along Salt Creek, but Skokie Lagoons mosquitoes were a completely different story). 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent seems to get good reviews:(
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... tid=175064
).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.