Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Windy City Crappie from the local pond and nice size too. Was thinking about trying for some Lake Michigan perch earlier today and wondering if it was worth a trip down to Waukegan harbor to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Windy City Crappie from the local pond and nice size too. Was thinking about trying for some Lake Michigan perch earlier today and wondering if it was worth a trip down to Waukegan harbor to give it a try.
Depends on where you live. They've been putting a beating on the perch at the south side slips all winter. Particularly the 87th st. slip. So if you're closer to that, I'd avoid going all the way up to Waukegan.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you do go to the harbor I'd put out a dead stick out for steelhead too maybe shrimp
For bait
Luckydawg,
Good advice, I usually dead stick 1 rod hoping for the big bite and shrimp sounds like a winner.
Depends on where you live. They've been putting a beating on the perch at the south side slips all winter. Particularly the 87th st. slip. So if you're closer to that, I'd avoid going all the way up to Waukegan.
SmalliesNEyes,,
I'm close to the Waukegan harbor but haven't heard any perch were being caught. I have only fished it for salmon and never tried perching so I may need to walk it down.
I did see 87th St. slip is getting a lot of attention too. At least an hour from me but they are catching fish though most are on the smaller side yet from what I've seen. Worth the drive to avoid the skunk I guess

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Luckydawg,
Good advice, I usually dead stick 1 rod hoping for the big bite and shrimp sounds like a winner.

SmalliesNEyes,,
I'm close to the Waukegan harbor but haven't heard any perch were being caught. I have only fished it for salmon and never tried perching so I may need to walk it down.
I did see 87th St. slip is getting a lot of attention too. At least an hour from me but they are catching fish though most are on the smaller side yet from what I've seen. Worth the drive to avoid the skunk I guess
Keeping 15 smaller perch(like 7-10 inches) and catching like 30, and feeling those bites, is far better than zero perch, and zero bites! I'd say 15 perch in that size range is still a meal for 3 adults, or a couple adults and a couple kids.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just got back from 87th and the Calumet river,I think it was,these spots to fish are private and against the law you will be trespassing ,talked to many fisherman more more patrolled on weekend ,it is a game,your left alone until it gets crowded, then everybody out,they leave come back in a hour ,during the week no problem,87th street park at steelman park is legal,walk south on the path To get to the river park half mile south,threw hole in fence to the river,their is also a slip there ,very slow fishing, some perch were caught,you are at the lake front ,windy,large building's, wind comes from all directions, forget plastics or jigging no line control, canit feel the bottom,or a bite ,everybody uses bottom rigs with bait,the whole thing is a pain in the ass but it is somewhere to fish.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Also,much of the area is government property, cc holders do not carry,next to the no trespassing signs,are signs that their is a fish advisory, in a nutshell, water is crap,might not effect the perch ,who knows,it was cool to watch giant cranes loading these giant boats,at the river spot there was a guy selling tamales out of his car ,making a buck,got to love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts