Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some leftover fatheads so i thought i would use them up quick before i was gonna head up to Geneva with a pal.I fish in some really off the beaten paths sometimes and after 30 minutes of catching some crappies i noticed 2 junkyard dogs about 100 yards from me. I wasnt real concerned because they would have to cross a small dam with a 3 foot opening in it, even so i stayed still hoping they would leave. The only way to get back to my car was to croos the dam , i was stuck on a point of an island with nowhere to go. TOO my amazement they both hopped over the dam barking and now both running full speed at me. If you have ever seen the movie THE SANDLOT that is the only way to decribe the size of theses beasts. The bigger one was coming full bore straight at me as i stayed perfectly still........ i heard somewhere if you dont show any fear animals will leave you alone . He jumped right on top of me i would imagine around 100 pounds and knocked me over and i fell on my wrist . with the smaller dog now deciding he wanted to make a doggie snadwich out of the old Coyote.The big dog put his jaws of death around myother wrist and started mouthing me like he wanted to play , thank god . Now i realized they were friendly not killers. As i slowly got up they were still jumpimg all over me as i slowly walked back to cross dam, they started playing with each other and i made mad dash for car . Been taking aspirin most of day and almost went to emergency room , because of how swollen wrist is , but believe it is not getting worse. So that is my story for you intersted guys out there.Have walked right into paths of Coyotes before in these off the beaten path fishing holes but today i just about dumped in my depends when these 2 were coming at me :D :D

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Hearing stories like that pisses me off to no end. First of all, thank God you're ok Mike!

Unless a person is on another's private property, dogs should always be leashed/tied up/fenced in. This is for THEIR protection as well as the safety of others.

My beagle got brutally mauled 3 years ago by a pit bull that was not leashed. She somehow survived. And about 15 years ago my girlfriend and I were seconds from being mauled by 2 rotweilers while fishing off the beaten path on the Kankakee River.

As gentle and friendly as my beagle is I ALWAYS keep her on a leash. She loves people but could certainly scare children if she ran over to play if not leashed. Dog owners NEED to be more responsible.

Again, glad you're ok, Mike. Hope the wrist is ok dude.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Glad that ur ok dude, I have never seen them, but one day those dogs are going to maul somebody and get somebody seriously hurt or killed. I see kids down there in the summer and would hate to see them or anybody get hurt cuz of owner neglect. :evil:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should clarify i would never go on private property. These guys came over a small wall from a business right next to lake. I think the best thing i did was stand perfectly still when they were comung at me i think if i would have ran with my back to them it might have been a different story.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Wow! Glad it wasnt worse! I have alwasy hoped that I would be able to kill the dog or dogs without thinking, but i would probably panic.
Down in the panhandle of FL by my uncle, they have problems with wild/nussiance dogs. They have to put down a couple a week. Its sad people let dogs run wild like that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Man! I'm with Jason that really woulda pissed me off. I have a dog and would consider myself a dog lover, but had I been in your case there'd be two dead dogs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
glad your okay man, iv had somthing kind of like that i was riding trails in the woods on my bike, and a big dog came out and bit me in the back of the leg. I ended up having to break its leg to get it off of me. and worst of all it was a stray so i had to go to the hospital to get some shots... :cry: i hate shots so much :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.