Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, a friend said I could never be a good fisherman. Reason? I didn't know how to lie well enough to tell a good fish story.

But today I have my best Deep Lake fish story.

We only caught two bass today, but we did catch one heck of a snag.

I've been trolling with my new used motor. It's not as efficient as working a weedline but I enjoy it. Around 1 PM a small bass hit my crankbait as I trollled it at 5 feet at the "toe" of Deep Lake (remember, it's shaped like a big boot). Nice fish, started thrashing, let him go.

Around 2 PM Roger and I trolled east along the northern weedlines of the south bay. Really, we were trolling the shoelaces of the boot.

Roger snags a weed, I snag a weed. Roger breaks the weed and reels in his lure. My snag doesn't break. I keep tugging but I'm not breaking the "weed". This goes on for a few minutes I swear my snag is now south of the point. This is pretty confusing because it means the snag is moving.

I've had catfish that make their famous run in 1st gear. Love those catfish that move off as if they have 4 wheel drive. This doesn't feel like a catfish.

By now, the "snag" is a 100 yards south of the bootlaces. The only movement I ever detected on the line was the line moving off to the right. I think I have a fish, but it's no fish I've ever felt. Realize, I thought I had a weed snagged. But in some glacier type manner, the snag changes position.

I'm using an IM7 6.5 foot rod with 12 pound Cajun Red line. The lure is a Bomber A that normally runs at 5 feet. I used a Palomar knot for the Berkley snap. After about 5 - 7 minutes all my equipment is holding steady. I still haven't gained on the "snag" by reeling my Quantum reel.

At this point I give the rod to Roger and start up the motor again. I figure, if it's really a fish, I'll motor towards the fish and gain line on him. So that's what we did.

I motored towards the "snag" and Roger is reeling in line as we move toward it. Finally, the "snag" is by the boat.

I swear, for the first time ever, the snag moves towards the boat and tried to go under the boat. Roger hands the rod to me in the stern, I loop the rod over a shoulder, and the snag is now on the other side of the boat. We foxed him.

But somehow, the snag gained distance on us again, this time we motored to him again, and again he tried going under the boat. We're only in ten feet of water or less in some weeds. We're still about 50-100 yards south of the shoelaces of the boot. This time, while Roger holds the rod, I motor in a circle when the snag tries to go under the boat. Circling with the boat means the snag get get under the boat.

Then all of a sudden, there's less tension on the line, and I'm reeling in a bunch of weeds. The 15 minute experience is over.

Now, I'm not a great fisherman. More importantly, I'm not a good lier.

I've caught some 5 pound catfish and a 4 pound bass in Deep earlier this year. I've been deep sea fishing in Florida and caught some 15-20 pound fish.

I've never had anything like the "snag" I had today. Roger's caught 15 pound trout in the Rocky Mountains as a guide. He thinks it was a fish too.

So that's my fish story for today. No, I didn't catch him. All I can tell you is each time I troll at Deep Lake, something interesting happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
There are some reports from 2 yrs ago on Lake-Link about guys trolling up some giant pike on deep diving cranks during the middle of the summer. Maybe one of those beasts came up shallow for a snack. I have seen large pike on light tackle put up similar fights. Good story Rich!!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maybe it was one of the mythical trout that was stocked there many, many years ago. It could have been a big gar or something. How about a 30 pound walleye? My guess is turtle. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.