Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning up my garage I found a few rods and reels that had been set aside. Once or twice my son found rods and reels hidden by weeds on obscure lakes or hooked a "sunken" rod and reel while fishing.

Most of the rods and reels were junk.

But I did find a Mitchel 300 that might be 30 years old. It still seems to work and has a nice action.

I also have a Garcia rod that might be fiber glass and is probably 30 years old. But it's 6 1/2 feet long, has a nice casting action, is a little whippy, but seems fine.

So I'm setting up the old Mitchell 300 with the old Garcia for my next outing. The first lure I try on it will be a bluegill looking crankbait that I found in a 50 year old tackle box full of stuff.

So on my next outing, I'm going "old school" fishing.

I'm just wondering if others have some old rod/reel/lure that they use for old times sake.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it turns out, I have a Mitchell 300a which is as common as dirt on Ebay.

But it still looks pretty, it's getting a workout tomorrow at Deep Lake.

Apparently the 300a was first built in 1978 and produced during the early 1980's. It was made in France like all the early Mitchells.

So I look forward to catching some fish with 25 year old equipment.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
That's cool Rich, I think some of the older gear was made much better than some of todays equipment.

I've got a 1947 Bache Brown Mastereel Spinning reel- made by Airex Corp. which was a division of Lionel Trains. It was my grandfather's, and my mom learned the finer points of spinning gear with when she was a kid. It still works good, and I used to fish with it 25yrs ago.

It is now retired and destined for my tackle display, if I ever get around to putting all that stuff up on the wall.

· Registered
229 Posts
abu garcia 6500C. not sure of the exact year, but it was my grandfather's primary musky reel & he didn't do much fishing after the '70s. I used it as my topwater musky reel 2 summers ago & caught 2 ski's & 1 big pike over a weekend in northern wi.

I took it apart recently & the drag washer looks like it's taken a hell of a beating over the years - but the reel works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.