Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some time to kill here at school, so I thought I'd share.

The weather this weekend sucked for fishing. I don't care how sunny and how pleasant it was. It sucked 100%. Bright skies and stupid cold front.

I fished about 10-hours this weekend for the elusive and rare Salt Creek Walleye. Worked an hour Friday night after class - lost a monster something that broke me off, and then had to leave early due to pouring rain. I was back out on Saturday for 5hrs in the afternoon and fished a whole bunch of areas you'd expect to catch a fish at - beneath bridges, deep pools with current & hard bottom, gravel bars, etc. It was a waste of time. Should have worked on the new boat all day instead.

Like Friday night, Saturday sucked as well. Bunch of miniaturized Bass and that was about it.

Then yesterday I was back out for another 3-4hrs in the afternoon. This time it was a little better. However, I found gold at around 645pm, a few minutes before I was ready to call it a weekend. I had to test my patience and try dangerously hard for this one fish. It made my weekend, despite the poor fishing weather and lack of action.

In the evenings, my best luck seems to come from big minnowbaits. F9, F11, and F13 rapalas, as well as shallow shad raps, and the occasional countdown. The fish want a super-sized meal as well as vibration.

The fish went 20" - small female. This puts me at 16 total for the year from here. . . . . I'm nowhere near Busse and absolutely nowhere near the DesPlaines. Walleyes travel in schools and they will migrate for miles until they find that one area they like to hang out in. Thankfully, one of them is less than 5-minutes from the door.

With the water temps now sitting in the low to mid-50's, plastics will become an important player during the stretch run of the next few weeks. I don't have patience for working slow plastics, but I have done well with them here before. Just not this year. It's been all cranks and big minnows for me.

I can't believe winter will already be here in a little over a month. Thank God I found a few hard to reach warm water discharges. Without some thought, no one would ever figure out how to access them. I'll be set for winter.

Class is canceled on Thursday, so I'll be fishing! :D

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

With the bright skies finding them has been kind of hard but if you stay patient, they will come.

I haven't been able to exactly figure out what they want, but since the forage species are dominantly shad, minnow species and smaller chubs, the best bets now and throughout the year have been matching the hatch with various Rapalas (floaters, countdowns, shad raps), and jig & plastics (big grubs, berkley minnows, etc).

For colors, I try a bunch of them until I find what the fish are looking for.

Hopefully the fishing gets better this weekend. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.