Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Opeka 5-26

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Brett 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
90 and sunny, calm winds, fished 11 to 3. Drop shot gulp minnows, a white spinner, and the biggest plastic crawfish I ever threw, in go to Opeka colours, Texas rigged. Came from LTB. Action was slow, wondering if they've all been dying to do the nasty all spring and the weather this week got the party started. Drop shot had a half dozen nibbles with a dink to show for it. 1 for 3 on the craw. All 3 in the same spot and within a half hour. One I had drag pull on the hookset and lost shortly after. Felt big. Tightened it up nailed a 2 pounder or so.

IMG_26052018_181506.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
uh huh, I stopped at Opeka between 3 and 4. Not many peeps. I lobbed a worm on a small hook to catch bluegill at will on my ultra light. Sad sight was 2 young men that had some good gear were working around close to shore...…..yup....targeting the males holding beds. Maybe its me, I don't know.

#4 ·
Was out thurs and saw only 'gil beds and the large bass in like a foot of water just lazing about they weren't on beds they were just swimming listlessly back and forth. I of course tried to bounce a senko off their heads, but no reaction. I even poked one with my rod tip (they were that close) and it didn't move :roll:

I've seen that before and it's always equalled no bites. I moved spots, same deal. So, after diagnosing that issue I headed out.

#6 ·
Hit it again tonight. Threw the craw from yesterday, on a similarly patterned jig this time, and the bluegill pattern zero g. One good tap on the jig was all. Girlfriend worked a dropshot with gulp. Lot of panfish nibbles but nothing caught. Towards the end I switched to a popper and had a quick 2 for 3. Had read an article on fishing the bluegill spawn and recommended top water. Didn't have a ton of confidence in topwater (outside of late summer DPR) so this was a valuable experience. Co angler had fun too, good sign.

#7 ·
Good to have a co-angler. 8) It was rough (not to mention really freakin' hot!) out there.

I also had diagnosed a topwater would have been the thing as well but it was a long way from the car at that point, and if I'd gotten back I'd have wised up it was too hot to be out and gone home :p So I muddled through and called it early.

#8 ·
Good job gettin on a few again. An Opeka outing is on my radar, but I've been so spoiled on these lower-pressured waters I've been hitting that its just sitting on the back burner. Keep up the good work on the reports from there. I'm counting on you and Minstrel lol.

#9 ·
Well I am confused then Minstrel. Maybe the many solitary bass circling a multitude of odd shaped cleaned out areas all around the shore line were planted by the Opeka Gods to just taunt you. Further to your theory, we saw a few of those "listless" bass with marks on their mouths too. Maybe they chew too much Kodiak like me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.