Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I threw together some taditional and some inovative swimbait combos together to give a try for pike and walleye in canada. also repainted a couple jerkbaits that previously had patterns that I didnt get much luck on.

Repainted a green smithwick that was all shartruse (a Gary roach signature pattern)
It didnt work for mee green so I amped it up with an orange belly and some black to darken it's back. The other one is a classic husky jerk originaly blue/sliver/orange belly. I blacked out the blue, whited up the sides a lil, and re-oranged the belly. Now it mocks my favorite bomber long A' pattern that I have had alot of great luck on.

Rigged the swimbaits a lil creatively, one with a chatter bait style, some sideways (the doug Stange style) and others straight on the jighead. Im also gunna try the normal weighted widegap hook as well.(not shown)

hopefully ill have a winner somewhere in the bunch. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
They Look Great Erik, All the 20 Bucks will catch ya though is a Buzz at the bar!!! :mrgreen: Hope ya kill em up there! Canada has some great beer. Labat Blue!!! :wink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
O'Canada!

Several of those will be catching.
Plus sounds like you know what works and modified the 'low-action' baits!

bored here also.
i tied up some perch flies tonite.
nice to read someone else tinkering.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swimbaits are actually high action baits in my book. those paddle tails set off alot of water movement and fish's lateral lines really pick it up and they hammer em (fish are totaly fooled by em and they are one of my best baits by far, and they cover soooooo much water at any depth, soooo deadly). I have met few swimbaits/paddle tails that dont catch fish(actually none), but theres always those one or two that out-produce all others, and small tweaks and changes can make big differneces. they recently stopped producing my favorite lead head swimbait for walleye and bass and even white bass, im so pissed :evil: . it was the northland mimic minnow in the 1/2 oz size, man did that thing kick nucking fass! they remodified the bodies with softer plastis and cheesier extra fins and whatnot and it just isnt the same. I even emailed Northalnd tackle company asking where to find the older style bodies without the fins, but they never responded. owell, im now on the market trying out some different things to find something as a replacement. though the ones posted are kinda a new trend im gunna try this year, these are different, these are the new and $overpriced$ hollow body swimbaits that have been hittin the market recntly.

The darker swimbaits you see are some cheaper knowckoff from dicks, but the yellowish ones that are a lil bigger are from basspro called "bass Majic" they are friggen $9 for one pack of about six plastics. and the traditional weighted wide gap hooks i was mentioning, you cant find em for less than four bucks for a four or five pack.
By far the most expensive plastic/hook combos i have ever purchased.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i f anyone know where to find the old school mimic minnows PLEASE pm me. i thin i might ask lee if he might be able to find em. doubt it though. My buddy researched em and he said he noticed some blogging from other fisherman that feel the same way about the new mimic minnows, they just suck compared to the old ones. :( i wanna cry just thinking about it, those were one of the best baits I ever discovered, and nothing else was quite like em. Actually discovered em when experimentin with em in canada, then found that they really dominate all over wisconsin.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet, glad to get some feedback. now i dont have to rely on total trial and error, i was actually beginning to doubt the dicks one cuz their tails are softer, and not as rigid and wondered if they would not give off as much vibe as the sturdier paddle tails. Thenks for the input. i havent tried any hollow body swim baits yet on the water. hopefully i can make it live up to the hype. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.